4.02.2012

Backyardigans

Here's what we've been up to lately in the backyard.

-Planted a peach tree. It should bear fruit next year, I think.

-Planted some rhubarb. These should also be harvestable next year.


-Dug an area in which to plant asparagus. I'll plant the actual asparagus this week. This will, once again, produce next year, and every year into the future. My dad tells me of driving by long-abandoned farmsteads and seeing asparagus growing.


-I had to put in a replacement blackberry bush to fill a spot taken by a bush I think those dang moles/voles killed. Unlike this one, my other blackberry plants will produce THIS YEAR.


-Here's a bat house we found at MacKenzie's dad's house and decided to hang up. It's not in an ideal location - posts are better than trees, but we have no posts. I also think it would have been better to hang facing more southward, instead of eastward, but I had to place the ladder on sloped ground, and go up 12 feet to hang it, so I did the best I could. If bats do find and colonize this house, it might be - wait for it - next year, or the year after. We will know they are present if there is a pile of guano on the ground under the box.



-Lastly, I planted the state tree of Missouri, a flowering dogwood. We went for a pink variety instead of a white one. Hopefully this will add some mid-spring color to our yard - everything else we have flowers in early spring.


-I also plan to build a third raised garden bed for vegetable growing. Hopefully I can get it done in time to grow tomatoes in it this year.

1 comment :

  1. You've been busy! I think I'll go today and get some sort of berry bush for Lewis (since he eats them like a maniac). On a trip to Idaho last year, we walked along the roadside by my sister's in-laws house and picked a whole bag of wild asparagus. That would be nice to have in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete