Shed Up

As part of our ongoing hail-recovery efforts, we replaced our garden shed. Before the hail, this is what we had:

It was already pretty beat-up before the late April storm, so I was pleasantly surprised that the insurance adjuster added it to his list of damages. I guess it had a few hail dents in it, on top of the previous wear-and-tear.

So to prepare for the purchase of a new shed, I tore this one down, which didn't take too much effort.


After shopping around at the local shed yards, we went with Tuff Shed, a brand displayed at Home Depot. Specifically, we went with this model. The amount of money the insurance company gave us for the old shed was enough for us to upgrade from a metal to a wooden shed. This shed was less expensive than the shed yard models, and is delivered in pieces and put together on-site, which in the case of our yard is easier than delivering a complete shed.

Here is our new shed. When ordering the shed, a number of options were offered for additional cost. I declined the painting option (they paint it for you for $200) and took care of that myself.

I also declined the pegboard option, and hung up a pegboard I had lying around.

I also made a garden tool holder. I forget where I saw this idea, but I cut slices off of a PVC pipe to make individual tool slots (I pounded in nails to hold a couple of the tools).

One option I opted for is two vents. If you look above the door in the shed photo above, you can see one of them. There is another one on the other side. I thought about increasing ventilation by adding a ridge vent, or cutting down solar radiation by adding barrier panels to the ceiling inside the shed. But the salespeople advised me that the vents were sufficient. I kind of wish I had done the ridge vent, though, as the vents don't seem to do much to cool it down.


No comments :

Post a Comment