8.19.2015

A mother's daybook - August 19

Planning and Preparing - Freezer meals. It seems a bit early in some ways but with two kids under foot I'm not going to have full days to prep this time so my plan is to just make doubles (or triples) of 2-3 of our evening meals each week. So by 36 weeks I should have a decent stash in my freezer. Then I can enjoy the last few weeks to bake with the kids and add some breads, cookies and muffins. You know, the fun stuff!

Reading - Go Set a Watchman. I wasn't really planning on reading it but Craig put himself on the wait list at the library and since it is in the house, I thought I should. We both read To Kill a Mockingbird just a few weeks ago. So far I'm not super impressed but I'll finish it before giving a final verdict. I also just finished up a couple other novels.

The first was Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell and my reaction - finally! This book took me so so so long to finish and I think I'm one of the few people that is kinda just "eh" about it. A lot of people love it, obviously. And there seems to be an equal group of those that hate it. I'm not upset I spent time on it and I did finish it which says something- but I don't think I'd recommend it. I thought it was well written and interesting at moments but also very tedious at times. I've heard it described as a mix of Harry Potter and Dickens and I understand that why it's given that description but it's more like 90% Dickens style writing with a bit of non-adventurous magic thrown in. Which is fine if you like that meandering Dickens style, but I don't. I'd hardly call myself an an action junkie when it comes to novels but I do need a bit of something to keep the story moving. I will try and see the BBC version eventually though, I have a feeling it will be the best parts without the agony of having to keep my kindle's wifi off for over a month. TLDR - needed a better editor (as do I at times :-)

The second was China Court by Rumor Godden. This was the first novel by Rumor Godden aimed at adults I've read and it was a bit of a disappointment too considering how much I loved the children's book I read (The Story of Holly and Ivy). I didn't have a problem with keeping track of all the characters (5 generations to keep track of!) and I loved some of the descriptions but I just found it so sad. Not tragic ending sad but rather poignant and I wasn't really prepared for that. By the last chapter I really only like four characters - John Henry, Cecily, Tracy and Peter. And by the last page, I wasn't so sure about Peter either.

Watching - Dr Who Season 8. I'm still getting used to Capaldi but so far he's funnier than I expected and I'm not having a problem understanding his accent. But I think the best part of a new season of the Doctor being released on Netflix is that we don't have to decide what to watch if we sit down in the evening to watch something. That always turns into 30 minutes of trying to pick something and then having to try too hard to stay awake to actually watch what we picked.

Drinking - Iron/Orange Juice/Chlorophyll cocktails three times a day. Finally in the few weeks, my progesterone levels have gone up enough for me to stop taking shots. And stopping the shots has let me stop Zofran too with just a mild bit of nausea to contend with. So that of course means my body has to come up with another issue - anemia. Luckily the iron doesn't seem to bother me or increase my nausea so I'm just fighting fatigue. Just don't laugh if you see me walking around with a green smile, its all for the baby.

No comments :

Post a Comment