4.13.2016

Words on Wednesday


I couldn't fit the whole quote into my image but it's too good not to share. 

A Christian, above all people, should live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively. We are supposed to be representing the Creator who is there, and whom we acknowledge to be there. It is true that all people are created in the image of God, but Christians are supposed to be conscious of that fact, and being conscious of it should recognize the importance of living artistically, aesthetically and creatively, as creative creatures of the Creator. If we have been created in the image f an Artist, then we should look for expressions of artistry, and be sensitive to beauty, responsive to what has been created for our appreciation. ~ Edith Schaeffer.

I think this is great encouragement for those pursing a traditional classic education (of which I consider Charlotte Mason and her educational philosophy to be a part of).  Some of the parts of a CM education are easy for me (books! All the books!) but others (poetry...uhm, all the poetry) are not. Being new to the formal side of schooling and keeping things very light means we haven't had too many bad days (although I have been on the other side of homeschooling so I know we will) so I don't need much encouragement there, but I am still working out exactly what a CM lifestyle and education look like in our home.

Keeping my eye on the prize helps a lot.  I need to remember, I'm not doing this so my kids can be successful and get good jobs (although that would be nice). And despite what is sometimes the perception, I'm not doing this so my little snobs children will turn up their noses at twaddle and exude worldliness. I'm not trying to value education higher than God. No, my goal is for us to yearn for and pursue the attributes of God.  The quote talks about creativity but I think it can apply to other attributes like wise and orderly as well. And that goes as much, if not more so, for living it out myself as teaching my children. Education and a CM lifestyle is the tool, God is the aim. God should always be the aim. Or I'm doing something wrong*.

*You caught me. Sometimes the "doing something wrong" happens too. But I'd like to at least have my goal be to the right spot then when I mess up, I just start over again with a bunch of prayer and a reminder to myself that "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it."

No comments :

Post a Comment