3.19.2018

Classics Challenge: The Scarlet Pimpernel

I find it so odd how sometimes you know bits and pieces about a book without having any idea why. While reading through a list of "classic" books with color in the title, I was getting a bit frustrated finding one that was actually a classic (Yes, Fifty Shades of Grey has a color in it's title, No, it is NOT a classic!), that fit this challenge (delightful as Harold and the purple crayon is) and that I hadn't read before. It was getting tough. But when I read the title, The Scaret Letter, it reminded me of The Scarlet Pimpernel. I've read the former but not the latter. And I don't think I've seen the movie. But then why do I know the ditty "We seek him here, we seek him there... that damned elusive Pimpernel!?" I still have no idea! I've even watched youtube clips to see if it seems familiar but no, I've pretty sure I've never seen the movie. Culture - it's so weird!

Anyway, as delightful as the poem is, the book is more so. It's not a classic in the sense that it's a must read book for of ideas to ponder or characters you relate to for years to come. It reminds me somewhat of a Georgette Heyer book but maybe a step above it in quality (although I also find those delightful at times too). Just a fun historical fiction book perfect for a beach read or a weekend when your in bed with a bad cold. The story revolves around Marguerite, supposedly the smartest woman in France (although honestly, this is doubtful) except she's not in France, she's in England now. Add in her foppish husband Sir Percy and their tense relationship, a brother taking some risks, a dastardly French agent Chauvelin blackmailing her, the threat of the guilotin and the danger abounds. Whatever will she do and who will rescue her? Why, the Scarlet Pimpernel of course!

Since finishing it, I've realized it actually a series and I would not be opposed to reading another in the future if my light reading stack runs low.

The Scarlet Pimpernel is my Back to the Classics Challenge Classic with a Color in the Title. Go visit Books and Chocolate for more Classics Challenge reviews.

1 comment :

  1. I read this for my color choice too. I enjoyed it too, and it is a light read, which is sometimes nice.

    ReplyDelete