6.03.2018

Could this weekend have been any busier - Part 2

So the room re-do was not actually the highlight of the weekend. Lucy turned 8! I'll be posting her interview soon with her view on things but from where I sit, she's a pretty awesome 8 year old. She loves creative things - all sorts of art and drawing, story writing and now that Norah's old enough to invade her bed in the morning and loves to snuggle, she's added story telling to her repetoire. That's the gift that keeps on giving because not only does she fill Norah's cup in the morning, it lets me sleep an extra 15 minutes or so!

That's just one example of her willingness to serve. She's a great big sister and helper to me. She and Jonah still have their moments but they have some great adventures together. And right now she's sitting next to me trying to write her story but also letting Norah cover her with tape "band-aids" in her doctor game. When she's not doing that, she's often be reading a book to her or helping her get something so her very pregnant mama doesn't have to get up just to get Norah a piece of paper or find a certain doll outfit she just has to gave. I'm not sure how I would be surviving this third trimester without her help.

She's still my introverted, pensive girl and I love to hear the ideas she comes up with but she's really come out of her shell this year. She loves her AHG troop and trying different sports. She tried soccer this fall, is in softball right now but seems to have found her favorite sport, Archery.  She got her own bow for her birthday and they are building an archery park a few miles away that should be done soon that she is excited to try out.

We didn't really have a full party but we did have cake and ice cream and invited the neighbors. Luckily they have 5 kids so even with just our two families, it feels pretty festive and celebratory!




Lucy wanted a to decorate her cake herself. I think she did good - simple but elegant. 







Then her big gift from mom and dad come the next day - a night away with mom. Which was perfect for both her and me.



We just went to a local hotel. It had dinner, breakfast and popcorn snacks in the evening included plus a pool so it felt kinda like a resort. Of course, we had to take a trip to Target for some girl supplies first (masks, nail polish and some trail mix. No use trying to have a girl's night without some form of chocolate).


She had never painted nails before so I let her try on mine. 





Her biggest request was to spend time doing the art that I normally can't do with her. I'll set things up at home but spend the time keeping the toddler distracted or somewhat contained so it was so fun to be able to sit with her and do the tutorials too (we just found a few on youtube that looked interesting).

We also practiced lettering using some of the new art supplies and books she had received for her birthday. I do not like my handwriting so I think with a little (or a lot!) of practice, I'll enjoy letting and using it on my bullet journaling and planning papers but I can't say it's coming naturally to me. Lucy was confused for about 10 minutes but they took off and is already free-hand lettering all sorts of things. This is pretty typical of the two of us. I'm always trying to learn some art technique to teach her but she ends up passing me by very quickly. But at least we both enjoy learning and spending time together!



I know I'm biased but I think both her painting and her lettering are pretty awesome. 



No comments :

Post a Comment