6.10.2018

Mason for Me - Summer 2018

Well, June snuck up on me. Actually, I knew it was coming but was powerless to stop it just to get in all those things that needed to be done. But I'm here now! (She says in her best Piggie Voice for anyone who's read this book)

Summer is a funny time for us homeschooling parents. I've been seeing lots of blog posts/facebook comments/podcasts about how to manage your kids for the summer and how to survive because for moms of elementary and up students, they suddenly have more kid time to manage but for me, and I suspect many of you, it's a bit of a break. I don't have any lessons plans or books to get through, I send my kids off to play and I can actually do some chores in the morning when I've got a bit more energy and have some free(ish) time in the afternoon, and my brain isn't trying to juggle so much stuff.

Which can make it a perfect time for mother culture. Maybe you're working your way through an ambleside year but not making as fast of progress as you'd like. This could be your time to shine! Or you could be super busy with vacations and running kids to camp and vbs and swim lessons and off your regular schedule and the progress your making comes to a screeching halt. Or maybe you were making good progress but just like you're kids do, you need a bit of a break. All of those options are totally reasonable.

This isn't a podcast strictly for homeschooling moms, but I really enjoyed The Simple Show Episode 130 Grown-Upping the Summer. It was a good reminder on balancing the seasons but still making time to learn and grown as a person. And balancing the seasons could mean the seasons of the year or the seasons of life. My summer will contain a big shift in my seasons of life and put me back in the newborn stage. I'll be trying to get up a post with my Mason for Me plans but the short version is - it's not gonna be full of deep brain work!

If you are up for some deep thinking but need a break from your regular scheduled Mother Culture do check out Brandy's two posts: her 2018 Mother Culture Reading List and her slightly more ambitious 2018 Mother's Education Course. They're be sure to be at least a few books you want to add to your tbr pile.

Or maybe put down the books (for a little while, you can pick them up again soon :-) and try out a new handicraft. Something you can take to the backyard while you watch the kids play or even the pool..if you're in that stage where your kids aren't potentially drowning every 30 seconds. I'm not quite there yet. Cross stick or Embroidery? Crochet or knitting - that would be good because I always get the hankering to knit when the weather turns cold but I've very slow so I finish my mittens or scarfs right about - spring time. Maybe if I start in the summer, they'd be ready for us to use when its still cold!

Or try to up your nature journaling and keeping game. This time of year is perfect for flowers and bugs - especially if you go out and grab them in the morning when it's still cool and draw/paint them inside an air conditioned building. It's not cheating. Not at all. At least, that's what my 32 weeks pregnant body is telling me.

So how are you fitting some of the Charlotte Mason philosophy in your life right now? I'd love to hear from you, whether it's in the comments or using the instagram hashtag #MasonforMe or leaving a link below.



Also, on a small housekeeping note. I can pretty much guarantee that the Fall edition of this will be delayed because I'll be busy with a newborn. I'll try to get around to it eventually. Which will give you a lot of time to feel refreshed and have plans for the fall all ready to share with us! Because despite what if might feel like now, eventually we will be craving pencils and sweaters and stacks of books again. 

No comments :

Post a Comment