7.07.2021

Classics Challenge: Antigone

I read Oedipus Rex in college. I won't say too much about that other than to say that I was never interested in reading another greek play after that. Angelina, Cindy and Thomas convinced me to try again last summer but last summer was a bit intense and I just couldn't make it through. So when I saw another greek play on the Literary Life List, I felt a bit bleh about it. I was WRONG! I should have trusted them. I really really enjoyed Antigone. 

I've done a lot of Greek myth stuff in the last two years so I'm sure that helped me feel less overwhelmed by the whole Greek world but overall, I felt like it was very approachable play even without a lot of that background. I had lots of thoughts and actually wanted to talk to my book buddy about it and how it related to some more modern books and ideas we've been pondering like the balance between fighting the wrongs you see around you in society and investing your time in political things and just keeping your head down and doing the next right thing. 

And then when I actually listened to the podcast episodes, I realized that I had done pretty well on my own. Some of their main points were the same things I had been thinking about! So I wasn't totally lost. That was very exciting for me. I might even try Oedipus at Colonus so I add "has read the Theban plays" to my resume which I think has quite a ring to it. Maybe next summer. 

So anyway, if you're feeling the desire to try something Greek, I'd definitely encourage you to try Antigone. 

No comments :

Post a Comment