12.16.2021

Classics Challenge: The Daughter of the Commandant.

Yet again I turn to a Russian author for my Classic in Translation selection. These Russians, they grow on you. I was going to go with Eugene Onegin and was enjoying it at first but I got sick and found my brain couldn't handle the verse so I switched to the next one on my goodreads list. Sometimes translated, as The Captain's daughter, The Daughter of the Commandant was just delightful. 

Petr' is a great main character. Despite being kind of "a mess" at the beginning of the story, you still find yourself on his side as he grows up. Now there are an improbably number of coincidences but I don't even care, it was just fun with an interesting plot that keeps you guessing while not being too stressful (This was a thanksgiving read - I didn't want to be (and wasn't!) worried that anyone was going to jump in front of a train). And its not too long so if you haven't ventured into the world of Russian lit, I think it would be a good choice. 

No comments :

Post a Comment