12.16.2021

Classics Challenge: That Hideous Strength

I'm not sure this is a the best book to read with a deadline looming as its pretty intense, but it IS definitely worth reading. This is my second time through. According to Goodreads (and not my memory because I had no clue!) the last time I read this was in the beginning of 2014 which meant I had a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Which might explain why I had very little memory of it. I do remember feeling lost through quite a bit of it and just being proud I finished. 

This time I did much better! I remembered the first 1/3 as I read and then it felt like a brand new book and not a re-read. I won't presume to say that I understood all of what C. S. Lewis was trying to say in it (I think that would take 10-100 more readings) but I did start to notice things and make connections and really ponder ideas. I'm going to be reading Abolition of Man (again) this spring and I'm exciting to make connections between the two. 

I'm putting as my Humor/Satire Back to the Classics selection which is making me laugh because I had planned to take that category in a much lighter direction originally but I guess I wasn't in a laughing mood because every other book I picked or even sometimes started for Humor was abandoned...don't over analyze that, I think I just needed the motivation to stick with this one! I'm very glad I did.  

No comments :

Post a Comment