11.15.2021

Classics Challenge: Lassie Come - Home

I was originally planning on using Animal Farm as my choice for this selection. And I did read it. But I don't have much to say about it. It's good. I re-read it especially so I could talk to Lucy about it as she's just finishing up the modern times and I think its a great book for her age. Simple in terms of reading ability but lots of deep ideas to ponder. But I feel like most people know about it already. 

Lassie Come-Home, on the other hand, is not as well known. The plot is pretty simple. Dog gets sent away for reasons, finds his way back. It's for kids so you know he's gonna make it or the book would be cruel. But the real delight is the setting and the people of the land. Lassie's family and the difficult situations and different ways of dealing with them are so touching while not being too angsty for children. But the book doesn't shy away from the hard times Lassie experiences on her journey either.

  Reading this over the summer after spending time in Yorkshire and the Lake District and learning about the changes that occurred during this time period in the mining communities was an amazing combination. There are parts where, at least as a read aloud, I had to push through because not much was happening but I don't think that would have been the case if I was just reading this to myself though and I am very glad we did push through. I may or may not have had a hard time reading aloud the last bits while my kid's just looked at me, rolling their eyes and wondering why there mom was chocking up. (Don't get me wrong - they liked it as well, we're just deep in good natured mom mockery stage around here). 

Lassie Come-Home is my Classic about an Animal selection in the Back to the Classics Challenge . 



1 comment :

  1. We just finished Lassie Come-Home, too! How special to read it after having visited the Yorkshire area. My kids (ages 3-10 yo) adored it! "No, that's not the end of the chapter! Could you pleeeeeease read a little more?!" I cried while reading the ending, too. :)

    ReplyDelete