3.23.2010

Half way there!

As a Christian, I know spending time daily in God's word should be one of my top priorities but truthfully, I can't always say that it is. I go in cycles. I get immersed in a study or book of the bible and just as soon as I really start to see the fruit of allowing the Spirit to work in my life, I get distracted or break the habit. Then all of a sudden I realize it has been way to long since I spent time reading His word. It's a sad but true story.

This fall was particularly bad. I just let me daily devotional time slip away for months. So when I saw the 90 day challenge on other blogs, I was super excited. I really enjoyed the twice monthly bible memory challenge Beth Moore did last year, I think I do well with challenges. Maybe I have a more competitive spirit than I thought :-)

The 90 day challenge is a group of bloggers who are reading through the bible in 90 days, they started January 1st. Unfortunately, January was a bad month for me to start with the moving and what not, so I just started in February. I was a bit nervous I would start and then give up because, can you believe it... I've never read the whole bible! There, my secret is out. I know that is ridiculous because it's the book I base my entire life on, but while I've read the Genesis and the Gospels more times than I can count, I never seem to make it all the way through the book of Revelation, or really anywhere near Habakkuk or Nahum. I was really hoping that having the goal of completing it before Nigel arrives would inspire me to keep going.

There is an official bible you can buy, but I'm just using a bible I have along with their assignment chart. Mine is New Living Translation which is not normally my study bible but for this purpose I really like it. You start in Genesis and just keep reading until you finish. It seems like quite a bit of reading each day but it really only takes me 30-45 minutes and I'm getting so much out of it. Reading so quickly means you really get a feel for the whole story - and it's a good one! You don't have time to stop and ponder things but I'm keeping note of passages I want to go back to. I got behind when my mom was here but I've getting caught up again and a few days ago I passed the half way mark!

So about 40 days from now, you should be reading a post about how I finished! And if not, ask me about it. I need the accountability. And if you are looking for an intense but fulfilling bible reading task for the next few months, check it out.

2 comments :

  1. blueletterbible.org is great; daily readings and will take you through the Bible in a year and you choose which version . . . I like the New King James.

    Good on you though for taking the 90 day challenge; it's P90X for the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck! You can do it! At my rate I will get through my bible in a year plan in about... three years! Haha, at least I'm reading, right?

    ReplyDelete