3.05.2010

Notes from the kitchen

After spending months avoiding it like the plague, I'm finally able to venture back into one my favorite rooms - the kitchen. Mostly I'm getting back into the routine of menu planning, cooking and culturing but I have also learned a few things:

1) Equipment does make a difference.

I have always been frustrated with my chopping skills. I seem to do it just like they do on tv but mine end us a mashy mess. I kept thinking I would improve over time but didn't really seem to. But then this Christmas we were given a few nice knives. Wow does that make a difference. I'm a chopping fool now. And my self esteem is through the roof!

Also, my bread has improved since the move. I couldn't really figure it out until I made granola. When I first posted my recipe, it used to take about 2 hours to be done, then at my last place I noticed it was down to an hour and a half. This time I stirred it at about 40 minutes and noticed it was pretty close to being done. I then promptly forgot about it and by an hour it was burnt! Apparently this oven is a lot stronger than my last ones. (Or more accurately, my old oven was weak and on it's last leg). I'm excited about my more functional oven as it means more consistent cook times and a nicer crust on my bread, as long as I remember to adjust my recipes accordingly.

2) Pregnancy is not good for cultures.

Both my yogurt and water kefir cultures did not survive the first trimester. I had half of my dried yogurt culture saved so I didn't think it would be a problem to start that up again but it must have been too old. When I try to culture it, all I got was a yogurt smelling milk. It's not totally dead but I don't think it is strong enough to work.

I was worried about my kefir grains. Once they were going well, I had tried drying some of my set just in case I ever killed them accidentally but wasn't really sure of my technique. Last week I tried to revive them. I thought they were working as they seemed to plump up. But after 48 hrs the water was still just sugar water with a layer of kefir on the bottom.

Overall it isn't a big deal. I still have all the supplies and I am comfortable with the routine so I'll think I'll buy new starters and make sure I show Craig how to do it before the baby comes. I've also learned a few tricks about keeping some frozen in case you ever have accidents and need to start over. Obviously that wouldn't have worked with moving but it will be a nice backup when the baby arrives. I could wait to restart them until this summer after we find a new routine but I miss them. I knew the theoretically benefits and liked the taste of both the yogurt and kefir so I kept it up but I didn't really think I noticed a change myself. But now after not being on them for a while, Craig and I both agree that we do feel better with more probiotics in us. And since Nigel will be getting his initial flora from me, I want to make sure I'm in good shape before the arrival.

3) Trying new recipes is fun, except when it's not.

I've been having a lot of fun trying new recipes. I've found some keepers like Owlhaven's Panda style orange chicken (totally delicious and while not completely healthy, I'm sure it is way better than the original) , Pioneer Women's Comfort Meatballs (If you don't have her cookbook, I feel sorry for you but luckily this one is also on her website), and Cheeseslave's Healthy Banana Bread (I though my banana bread recipe was good but these are even better, I think it's the maple syrup. I made a batch as muffins as a treat "for Craig" but then ate 5 before he got home.)

I've also had some misses, a pinto bean casserole with a crust that was more like a layer of asphalt than cornbread and a potato corn chowder that unfortunately made several meals worth. The worst thing about the misses is that they came during Craig's crazy work schedule time when I couldn't go to the store so we kept having to eat the leftovers. We didn't even have enough bread or I would have resorted to pb&js. Only the thought of starving children in Asia enabled me to get through it.

No comments :

Post a Comment