3.17.2010

I'm not sure that is any better

They say your hair and skin are supposed to be wonderful during your pregnancy.

Well, they lie.

My hair has been awful. One day it is dry and frizzy, the next it looks like I poured a bucket of oil on my head. I had been growing it out. I didn't really like it but was afraid to cut it since I was so unsure of how it would act. At least I was able stick it in a ponytail.

But I finally made a decision and got it cut. I actually cut almost 5 inches off. It wasn't a total gamble since I went back to the style I had in college. Craig and I joke that is is my "thanks" haircut since I got it over Christmas break one year when we were friends. When he came to pick me up and drive me back to school after the break, we had the following conversation:

Craig: You got your hair cut.
MacKenzie: Thanks for noticing.
Craig: I didn't say I liked it.
MacKenzie: Oh.

It should now be obvious to you all why I fell in love with him and his smooth talking :-) To be fair, he insists that I didn't say the "for noticing" part while I insist that I did. For arguments (or should that be non-arguments sake), let's say I didn't say that part/he didn't hear that part. I still think that he was implying he didn't like my hair and he might have been able to come up with something nicer to say.

Anyway, we still joke about that conversation so of course when he first sees me, knowing I was getting this cut again, he says "Oh, you got your hair cut" but this time I actually ask him if he likes it. His reply "It looks like mom hair."

I give him a look and he quickly clarifies by saying "it's not a bad thing... not like mom jeans mom hair...like a cute mom, cause you are a cute mom"... and I stop him there since I do know what he means. I've always looked young for my age and when my hair is long, I look even younger. I've even been asked if I was married and if I was old enough to have a baby. What is the proper reply to that question? With shorter hair, I finally look like I could be a non-teenage mom. So Craig's statement was supposed to be a compliment and I choose to take it that way.

But just in case we end up having a girl, I think we need to start working on the proper things to say to a female about her hair before we have to go through any hysterical episodes brought on by a father's lack of hair compassion. The only proper thing to say a women who has just gotten a hair cut: "Your hair looks great!"

2 comments :

  1. One time when I was about four, my mom came back from getting a perm (it was the 80s, after all) and I told her, not realizing that it would sound like a bad thing, that she looked like a clown. In short, it may not be the kid's feelings you have to worry about. (At least for a while.)

    ReplyDelete