2.23.2010

UHF: The clause

I've been debating for a while how much I want to talk about certain baby issues and whether I even want to bring up a couple in particular.

Mostly because when I write about things I am super passionate about, I worry that it comes across as judgmental towards those that choose not to do them which is almost* never the case. I know we are making unconventional choices. I know that most people won't choose to do many of the things we do. Just because Craig and I can't imagine not doing them doesn't mean we don't have enough of an imagination to understand why others wouldn't want to. So if I continue y'all have to pinky promise not to take anything I say to mean I think badly of people who disagree.

I also hesitated because I don't want to rock the boat. I don't necessarily want to fend off "loving, helpful" advice and this may sound silly, but I don't want people to think I'm weird. I can say I'm weird, my close friends and family can tell me that (lovingly of course) but second cousins three times removed or my neighbor from down the street - not so much. I want those people to think I'm normal.

One of my favorite things about the blogosphere is the niches. I love reading other hippie mama style blogs because I find myself saying "exactly" all the time and it makes me feel so normal. But then I snap back into reality and realize despite what it might feel like in one small section of the internet, to a lot of the world, we're kinda freaky. I don't think that's all bad and I certainly won't change my actions because I'm worried about what others will think but sometimes a girl just wants to fit in, ya know?

But I've decided to write away. We started this blog as a way to keep up with friends and while that is still one of the way purposes, it isn't the only one. I feel like I have to work harder to keep it edifying but that is one of my main goals. Sometimes it means I struggle with the line between being honest and being too open but I think if it has the potential to help someone else, I would rather fall on the too open side.

Which brings me to our main reason for wanting to talk about our decisions. Blogging and the internet is often times how we first learned about things and without that information, we might not be making the same decisions. I don't mean that we read some random blog post and it convinced us. That would be silly. But because without my hearing about things like home birthing, co-sleeping and cloth diapering on several blogs, I wouldn't have even known they were options. But when we did hear about them, it became an option that we could research and talk about. And we are excited about them and want to share that information with others so that they can research and talk about them as options too.

So coming up later today - our birth choices!

*I say almost because some choices are just too stupid not to judge. I may choose to get a convertible car seat because I firmly believe that car seats are for cars and I want to avoid the temptations to act otherwise. Others may choose to go the traditional infant system route. Those are both reasonable choices. If you choose not to use a car seat at all then I will judge you because that is just ridiculous. Unless you don't have a car, then it makes sense I guess :-)

No comments :

Post a Comment