8.29.2008

Venturing Into the Swamp

Today I have my first substitute teaching job at the local high school. As you may know, I'm not a big fan of the public education system. However, I feel like I should help MacKenzie pay the bills, and this line of work fits well with my schedule. Plus, $60/day ain't bad. In addition, the experience I gain will bolster the credibility of my criticism of the system.

I'm rather nervous, because you know how kids are these days, but I am filling in for an advanced class, so there shouldn't be too many hooligans in the room. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments :

  1. My husband subs at the schools around here every so often (he's a certified teacher). His favorite is the more upscale public high school. His least favorite is the upscale public middle school ("Spoiled little snots").

    He won't even go to the city public high schools any more. ("Not worth the risk").

    ReplyDelete
  2. What class are you going to teach? I didn't know you could do that without a degree/certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The classes one subs for vary each time. All they require is a college degree to substitute, and all I had to do to get hired was fill out some paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was always in the advanced classes...and i was usually a hooligan.

    ReplyDelete