8.08.2008

Traveling Cat: Part 2

I'm a little worried about Zeeba and how she is dealing with the move. She has been really clingy and whiny lately. At first I wondered if maybe her last family before the shelter left here when they moved so maybe the boxes made her worry that we would abandon her but then I realized that might be a little more thinking that she is capable of. She is a smart cat, but she is still just a cat. She is probably just confused by all the changes.

I took a recent trip to PetSmart though and stocked up on some things to ease the moving experience. We wanted a harness and leash so that we can let her out to stretch her little kitty legs on the trip. Since it was just me at the store, I went with the pink sparkly set. Craig wasn't so happy with my choice but I don't see why he would feel stupid holding a cat on a pink sparkly leash, do you?

We tried the harness on her and at first she bucked to get it off but eventually she got tired and accepted it. She was not as accepting of the leash, especially when we took her out and put her down on the ground. Apparently frolicking through the grass was not on her to do list for the day. I don't know if we will end up using them on the trip but at least we have the option. Her carrier is so little and I can't image laying in one position for 8 hours is any more comfortable than sitting in a Penske truck will be.

We also bought a bottle of At Ease. It is supposed to mimic cat pheromones and keep kitties calm. I don't really get how that would work at all, but I had heard that type of product recommended by Dr. Eric, a real veterinarian, so I have faith.

And who wouldn't have faith in this guy?

When I sprayed some on her ledge bed it seemed to work so hopefully a few squirts in her carrier each morning will ease her fears. And for $14.99 for a little bottle, it had better.

My parents have moved my old kitty, Mr. Knightley, all over the world and he always handles it well but Zeeba seems so stressed already that I am worried. We'll give you an update when we get there.

2 comments :

  1. i've heard about that "at ease" product. our cat was all stressed out about the addition of 57 new pets and was peeing all over the bathroom. so i bought something called "feliway," which is dispensed much like a glade plug-in.

    it worked. what a miracle. did the at ease help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it made a slight difference but I'm not sure if that was just an owner's placebo effect at work. If her symptoms had been worse, it would have been easier to tell.

    ReplyDelete