8.25.2008

Goodbye, My Friend

It is always sad when the Olympics end. The athletes that I welcomed into my home every morning and every night are going home themselves, and there will be a void in my TV that the networks will attempt to fill with inanity. I will miss not waking up in the morning to see what's happening in Beijing, or sitting up until 2 am watching events that were, in many cases, better than those which aired in prime time. It will be a couple of days until I have moved on. Football begins soon, but that sport doesn't hold the same allure for me. Plus, part of the joy of the Olympics is jumping from sport to sport as if I were at Golden Corral. A little badminton here, a helping of field hockey, and some water polo for dessert, as it were.

Citizens of Beijing should also be sad the Olympics are ending. Not only because the Games were a good time, but because, with the world's attention diverted, their government can resume blocking the Internet, polluting the air, and crushing dissent. Hopefully, China's contact with the outside world will spur some changes for the better. I am doubtful, however.

4 comments :

  1. . . . it's hard to die, when all the birds are singing in the sky . . .

    Your titles lately have all reminded me of songs; this one was a One Hit Wonder by Terry Jacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its okay Craig, the Olympics will return in two years, and then they'll have curling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am with you! come back olympics! come back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just try to distract yourself with all the political happenings of the next week or two. And breathe, you will be okay.

    ReplyDelete