8.18.2008

Just another back-to-school post

My blog list has a lot of "mom blogs" on it so I've been reading quite a few back-to-school posts lately. The moms sending their kids off to school talk about them growing up and becoming independent, the homeschooling moms talk about curriculum. I figured I would do a back-to-school post of my own. Don't think for second that my lack of children will stop me.

I've mentioned it before but if you didn't catch it, I was homeschooled growing up. I loved it and Craig and I are definitely planning on homeschooling our kids and I am already excited about it. Just thinking about curriculum makes me happy but then again, I'm weird, when I was just 12 or 13 years old, I would look at the new catalogs for hours. Sunlight, Timberdoodle, the huge Rainbow resource catalog - I loved them all (I still do). I even read The Well-Trained Mind when I was an young teen. Oh man, I was so dorky.

Anyhoo, when I was looking for a man to marry, I knew how he felt about homeschooling would be an important indicator for me. While he didn't necessarily need to be all gung-ho about it already, he at least needed to be open to the idea. And if he was, I knew God would lead him where we needed to be.

From the start, Craig was willing to think about it, and it wasn't too long into our "courtship" when we were talking about kids and how we thought they should be raised that we agreed that homeschooling was going to be our first choice. And now, it's pretty much just a given.

Whenever we hear something on the news, or I relate some story from back in my subbing days, and he replies with "I'm so glad you will be homeschooling our kids", my heart melts. Even so, when I get all excited about something I see, like these oh-so-cute Shakespeare for kids books, I wonder if Craig will be as "into homeschooling" as I am.

I got my answer when the opening ceremony for the Olympics came on and he ran to get our world map so we could race to find the countries as they marched. At that point, I knew he would manage just fine.

And here is the aforementioned world map, now comfortable situated on the wall by our dinner table.
Look out geography bee coaches, give us 15 years and we're gonna be your worst enemy.

1 comment :