8.25.2008

Making the Cut

There was a lot of talk during the just-completed Olympics about the removal of baseball and softball from the program. These sports have the chance to be re-admitted for 2016, along with potential new sports karate, squash, golf, rugby sevens and roller-skating. I will give you the list of current Olympic events, and tell you which I think should be added or removed. Wikipedia has the history of each sport's inclusion in the Games.

Archery
Athletics (track & field)
Badminton
Basketball
Beach Volleyball - obviously keep.
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Diving - get rid of the synchronized version.
Equestrian - we could replace this with rodeo :)
Fencing
Football (soccer) - remove. Yeah, it's a big sport, but the World Cup is a much bigger deal.
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey (field)
Judo
Modern pentathlon - remove. This sport is a relic from a bygone era. See here.
Rhythmic Gymnastics
Rowing
Sailing - remove.
Shooting
Synchronized Swimming
Swimming - get rid of the open water version (the pool version is sufficient).
Table tennis - remove. This is a hobby more than a sport. Plus, it's dominated by one country, and that's why softball got kicked out.

Taekwondo - lots of trouble here with judging and referee-kicking. Maybe replace with karate?

Tennis
Trampoline - remove. Seriously.
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

Now that we've removed 5 sports, and some subsports, what should we add? I say baseball and softball return, and we add squash. Golf? Heck no. What do you think?

7 comments :

  1. what is squash and sevens? rugby would be pretty cool. golf should definitally not be added. Roller skating, may have some potential, but it'd just be summer ice skating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote that if soccer gets removed, tennis should be removed for the same reason. Commentators were discussing how athletes won't give their all for the Olympics because they're more concerned about Wimbledon.

    Although I vote to keep soccer - It's beloved around the world, and since the World Cup is a bigger deal, sometimes smaller countries get the chance to stand out at the Olympics.

    Second on rugby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hiss at your idea to remove TKD. I didn't get to watch it this time, I'm not even sure if they showed it, but I am glad it was there anyway. But I agree with removing trampoline. Really, how is that a sport?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My six year old would be devastated if they remove TKD. Let's just say that she's zeroed in on that as her "only chance" (her words) to be an Olympian.

    Yeah, the likelihood of my children making it to the Olympics in anything is slim. (Unless they make talking an Olympic sport!)

    Table tennis, trampoline, boxing, football (soccer), and wrestling can all go with my blessing. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that tennis should go if baseball and soccer go (and if golf stays out). Olympic sports are most satisfying to watch if the Olympics are the pinnacle of that sport, like swimming or gymnastics.

    And I don't know why everybody (you guys, Bob Costas, etc.) is down on trampoline. Sure, doing those gymnastic moves on the trampoline isn't as hard as doing it in gymnastics, but I know I could never do it.

    Finally, I think table tennis should stay in because I, like Karen's child, have discovered my shot at the Olympics. I've seen men play world championship ping pong, and they're really impressive (and it's definitely a sport). I watched the gold medal match for the women, though, and they're not that great. Eight hours a day of training, and I could totally do that. London 2012, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhythmic gymnastics = REMOVE! Cheerleading is much more of a sport than that (not that I think cheerleading should be added, just for comparison purposes only).

    Also, I like TKD, and I know the Lopez family...sort of...they all went to my middle school and high school.

    And I'm pretty sure you know my opinion on baseball and softball. Isn't it ironic that the US softball team didn't win after eliminating the sport primarily due to the US dominance? And also very sad. I love me some softball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you pick to kick out (pun intended) soccer just because you knew i'd be mad? i loooove soccer.

    however. i also like golf - and i don't want to see it at the olympics.

    is bowling an olympic sport? i love bowling.

    ReplyDelete