7.20.2010

Just what the doctor ordered

We just finished up a long weekend with Craig's brother and sister. It was just what the doctor (well, midwife) ordered. The last week or two I have been starting to get a bit of the baby blues. When I was at my parents there were always people around but now that we are back here I'm a bit lonely and with trying to get the car situation handled and recovering from the flu, physically run down too. I didn't have a chance to even relax at home with Craig these last few weeks. That is not a good combination. So when we went back to the midwives for one last visit, I was pretty sure what she was going to say and I was right - Get out of the house!

Now, I'm not supposed to run myself ragged but I do need to start being a little more brave about venturing out into the real world with Lucy - go to mom groups, make play dates with friends, find time to talk to people who can actually talk back. But it will mean being brave. When Lucy was born, I set my sights on 6 weeks. I just kept reminding myself that I just had to get to 6 weeks. I'm not sure why but I assumed that so much would happen by then - breastfeeding would get easier, I would have some semblanced of a routine, I would be able to do some housework (dishes, laundry), and I would be comfortable getting out of the house with Lucy. And most of those are true, but not the leaving the house with just Lucy part. Moms with more than one kid are probably laughing at me now but that is still super scary for me! But I need to get over it so I'm going to be planning a few more outings for the next couple weeks.

This weekend was a good jumpstart since Lucy was great on all our outings and I gained some confidence. I always had at least one other person around but it still helped. We went on a tour of a local attraction, had dinner out, and stood in line for 3 hours for diapers (more on that later). Craig and his sibs also went to a baseball game and did some sight seeing without Lucy and I since it was a little hot for us to be outside all day but it gave us a chance to catch up on our naps so we were refreshed and happy when they returned. We also spent quite a bit of time just hanging out here adoring Lucy. She still refused to roll over in front of anyone (but she just did it upstairs when I put her in her co-sleeper for tummy time while I put away laundry - What gives!?) but she did lots of smiling and cooing and had a tons of fun with her aunt and uncle. I'd say it was a successful visit.

2 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you had some light at the end of the tunnel!

    I don't think it's funny at all when mama's struggle with finding their place with a newborn. It doesn't matter how many you have, a new one changes your perspective and your availability for what you need for yourself.

    Blessings to you, and enjoy your solution. Be brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss little Lucy already! I didn't realize how darn adorable she was! Give her a big hug from me!!

    ReplyDelete