5.02.2011

Montessori and Me

I’ve mentioned the Montessori method before as something I’m interested in, especially for the early years. I’m pretty certain we will branch out quite a bit into other educational methods as Lucy reaches elementary age but for now, most of what I hear/read/see about Montessori just meshes with me.

Some people think that AP and Montessori are at odds but I don’t feel that way. Of course, because I’m only incorporating Montessori concept in my home and not sending Lucy to school, I am free to pick and choose what I like and what I don’t. Yes, I nurse on demand and don’t have Lucy on a strict schedule, but personally, I really do like order and routine, schedules and lists so its nice to have a bit more of that in my life again now that she is getting older (although we are still pretty fluid in our routine). And I think kids thrive on that as long as it takes into account their needs.

I’ve been asked several times when I talk about the things I do with Lucy to explain what Montessori is and to be honest, I’m hesitant to do so because I’m not a Montessori teacher nor do I had any formal training. I only know what I have learned from a few books and blogs and I don’t want anyone to take what I’m saying as anything straight Maria’s mouth. But luckily, other people out there have done so.

One definition I’ve seen several places:

A method of educating young children that stresses development of a child's own initiative and natural abilities, especially through practical play.

I agree with that, but it still could leave someone with the question, “Yes, but what is it?”

I think it is much easier to understand by reading about how it is practiced instead of trying to list the different parts of the theory so here are a few of the resources I’ve used to get started learning about the wonderful world of Montessori learning:

  • Living Montessori Now has a great post about the top 10 Montessori principles. Actually her whole blog is cool and it has ideas specifically for homeschooling.
  • Sew Liberated was my first exposure to a Montessori family and is visual feast of Montessori, craftiness and currently, a baby boy that makes my uterus hurt. Even if you don’t care a smidge about Montessori, you should check it out.
  • How We Montessori really shows how a Montessori household can be run. Sometimes I read about a concept but don’t understand how to put it into practice but not with this blog.
  • Counting Coconuts has lots of fun ideas, especially in the practical life section. I get a little intimidated because she seems to do so much but if I can keep those fears in check, I can get really inspired here.

For books, I read Montessori From the Start before Lucy was born and again just recently and thought it was okay (see review here) and recently read and enjoyed Teach Me To Do It Myself but I really want to get my hands on How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way. Alas, our library doesn’t have it and neither does paperback swap so I think I’ll have to use my swagbucks.

We’ve been doing several Montessori things (like the shot glass cup) for a while now but as Lucy is reaching toddlerhood, I am really starting to prepare our environment even more towards that way of thinking and getting activities ready for when she is. I’ll be trying to take pictures over the next few days to share with you. I’m telling you this now so that I can’t slack off so hold me accountable if you don’t see any within a week or two!

1 comment :

  1. I'm really looking forward to this series! So many of our parenting options aren't either/or but both/and. I've been figuring out what attachment parenting looks like for us, but I haven't really looked into Montessori at all and want to know more.

    ReplyDelete