5.11.2011

Simply Sewing

I like to sew but when I have the time I normally tend to gravitate towards craft projects or quilting instead of clothing. But I’ve decided there are way too many cute little girl clothes tutorials out there to waste and I was determined to give clothes sewing a bit more of my time. For my first try, I put together matching Easter clothes for Lucy and I. 
I already put up pictures but I wanted to link to the tutorials. My skirt was made using this yoga skirt tutorial. I used a 45’ cotton for the main skirt so I used two full widths, one for the back and one for the front.
For Lucy’s outfit, I could have made a matching yoga skirt but I wanted her to wear a dress. I was surprised that I couldn’t really find anything I liked. Everything had straps and we really wanted her in something with sleeves – but teeny tiny sleeves without a pattern or tutorial seemed like more of a challenge than I wanted. When I saw this tutorial I knew I wanted to do a bubble skirt and I’d seen several onesie dress tutorials before so I combined those ideas.
I followed her instructions for the bottom part of the skirt, but instead of making the straps, I sewed the skirt onto the onesie about an inch below the arm pit seams. I made it using an 18mon onesie and kept it fairly long so she should be able to wear it all summer.
110425 Lucy 054
This picture best shows the elastic bubble bottom.
The jacket I made using the same soft knit that I used for the skirt of my dress and a pattern from the bend the rules sewing book.
110425 Lucy 022
I made a kinda big mistake on both my skirt and her dress but neither one was visible so I’m still pretty happy with the results.
Next up was Lucy’s birthday outfit. I made a brown and pink tutu using this tutorial and a cupcake onesie to go with it.
110511 Baseball 101
The onesie is something I made up but I learned how to do a rosette using this tutorial.
110511 Baseball 102
Then I just cut out the rest of the pieces from various fabrics I had on hand. I was going to use wonderunder to attach them to the onesie but at couldn’t find my extra stash and it was late and night but I was determined to finish so I used fabric glue:-) I think it turned out real cute and I can’t wait for her to wear it.
None of these projects were particularly difficult so if you are looking for an easy project to get started on, I’d recommend any of them. Happy Sewing!

2 comments :

  1. Those look great!!! I love that rosette!!! ... a lot! I can't wait to have a girl.

    I was going to make John a birthday outfit, but I had to make a decision between making his cake or an outfit... I got too busy.

    Good for you! I can't wait to hear about her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tutu and onesie turned out really cute. I can't wait to see pictures of her in it!

    ReplyDelete