3.21.2012

A Legacy

But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children - with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.


Psalm 103:17-18 


March 21st. My parent's anniversary. It  is would have been is the 36th anniversary of their wedding day. I was about to write that 36 year is longer than I've been alive but then I realized "duh!" But 36 years is a long time and I know to them, it wasn't long enough.

I'm sure every bride has heard some variation of the phrase, "It's the marriage, not the wedding, that matters." My parents exemplified this. Their wedding was not a grand affair that would have been featured in any bridal magazine or tlc special. It was really small. I think my mom wore a yellow dress. I hadn't seen any pictures of their wedding or them on their wedding day until we found a few while searching for pictures for her funeral slideshow (and by few, I mean 2-3). Their honeymoon was at a local zoo. Nothing special.

But their marriage was special. The vow they made of "as long as we both shall live," the covenant they entered into - they kept it. And I don't mean that they just didn't get a divorce. They lived out their vows every day and I feel so blessed that I got to see that and experience as a child what growing up in a loving, Godly home is like.

I look at my own marriage and my and Craig's growing family and I know that it wouldn't be what it is if I didn't have that example to look to. I miss my mom so much but when I see what we have, I know she is with me. And I pray that someday Lucy  (and Dewey) will be able to say the same thing about Craig and I. To know that we have passed on that legacy. Then I will know that we have succeeded.

Happy Anniversary Dad (and Mom).

Picture taken January 2009

2 comments :

  1. MacKenzie,
    I think about you often, all that you've been though the past 2 years. I am always amazed by your stamina -- your honest, but upbeat countenance. I think about how you are with Lucy. How well rounded & multifaceted you are in every aspect of life. In the few years that I have known you, I do know some about your upbringing. I always come back to, yes, she must have had wonderful parents to bring her up to who she is today. I never had the privilege to meet your mom, but from what I have heard about her, you are certainly your mother's daughter. Embrace that role, you are on your way to filling big shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete