3.08.2012

Not that different after all

I wrote this back in January with the idea that I would leave it sitting for a day or two then go back and edit it. Two months later and I still don't have the energy to edit. But I don't have anything else to post so just ignore whatever errors you find. But let me know if anything is unclear. Sometimes I ramble and the point gets lost. 

I've talked a lot about the Montessori concepts of education but I actually love to read about lots of educational theories. Of course I do - I'm the kid who's highlight of the summer during my middle school and high school years was sitting down with my mom and a stack of curriculum catalogs (most likely sunlight and rainbow resource as well as others) and picking out what I would be using the next year. No need to bring it up, I know I was weird kid.

But I love to research all kids of methods since one of the benefits about being a mom and not a teacher at a specific school is that I can pick and choose what I like best about each*. Two of my other favorite methods to read about include Charlotte Mason and Waldorf (although I must add in here that I do throw out a lot of chaff with that last one but I still think the Waldorf wheat is worth it).

On the surface, those three methods may appear really different and in many ways they are. But not altogether. There are several main philosophies that seem to tie those theories together. The way they may  implement those ideas are different, but the concepts are similar - and often times very different from the way mainstream education works**

Parents/Teachers are facilitators of learning.

My job as Lucy's "teacher" is not to cram knowledge into her head. It's to present her with opportunities to learn.  Learning involves making connections and seeing how things work and fit together. Without that, facts are just facts, not knowledge. But it isn't my job to make those connections for Lucy, at least not all of them. I present her with opportunities for learning and the equipment that she needs, but she has to do the work of putting it all together if she is to truly learn.

You see this with CM is the rejection of textbooks in favor of living books. Textbooks put together in one or two paragraphs the facts that you might glean from several living books, but which method will allow for greater comprehension? I've heard Mason's method described as carefully and orderly preparing a feast, but letting the child decide what they are ready to eat.

Similarly, Montessori activities are set out and the child is free to choose what he/she will work on and for how long. I've made sensory items for Lucy that she has used over and over again and ones that shes used once and is done with. I trust her brain to know what it needs to now.

And of course, Waldorf takes this pretty far at times, maybe too far, especially with younger children. One might even be encouraged not to answer a child's many questions but instead respond with a "Hmm, Sometimes I wonder why the sky is blue too." I'm pretty sure I'll never go that far, but the basic idea that we aren't there to supply every bit of information and form every connection for the child makes sense.

Better late than early.

In Waldorf education, early education shouldn't begin until at least 6.5 to 7 years old. Charlotte Mason also advocates for a "late" start of formal lessons at age 6. I remember Marilla telling Anne (in Anne of Avonlea) that she didn't think it right to send Davy to school before he was older (7?). In modern times, that would be considered tantamount to child abuse. Kindergarten has gone from half day to almost always full day and now we not only have preschool for 4 years old but for children toddlers as young as 2! I really don't think it will be long before we join Israel with compulsory education beginning at age 3. That is just ridiculous. Frankly, children have too much learning to do at home, learning to be a part of a family, learning to play and imagine, learning to be loved and protected. School just gets in the way of that.

Many people might think that Montessori disagrees with the better late than early principle, and I think the way people put it into action could do that, but one of the most important Montessori principles is "Follow The Child." As a parent/teacher, I need to be always observing Lucy so I know where she is developmentally (this is what a Montessori teacher should be doing since she isn't keeping herself busy leading students in lots of group activities and circle times). I don't push Lucy into things she isn't ready for (as should be obvious by the fact that she still isn't sleeping through the night, haha!)

Maria talks extensively about sensitive periods but those need to be individualized. And because I am presenting materials to her, but letting her choose what to do, if she isn't ready for something, she won't choose it; or if she does but can't use it correctly, I'll take it away and try again later.

Actually, I think this is one of the reasons I'm so drawn to Montessori is that it gives me something to do, something to prepare, without having to push her into schooling before she is ready. As much as I think it is best to leave children alone when they are young, to let them play and learn and develop at home, it can be really hard to leave things alone. At this point in time, I don't think I want to start really homeschooling Lucy until she is 6, but if I didn't have something to keep me and her occupied, I'm positive I would cave and start earlier. And Waldorf materials do a great job reminding me of the importance of creative and imaginative play. But while Montessori and Waldorf are a good fit for us in the early years, I'm guessing that we will transition to more of a CM style as Lucy gets older. Of course, this is all theoretical, but its fun to think about.

What kids sense (see/hear/experience) around them is important

 I am super particular about what I expose Lucy too.This one is probably the one that makes me seem like a nazi parent to many but I know that it isn't just about now, I know that I am teaching her standards. What she gets used to now is what she will consider normal and I just as I don't want her getting accustomed to cheez- whiz or sunny-D, I don't want her getting used to cheap plastic crap. I want to expose her to quality music, art, and toys and experiences.

Both Waldorf and Montessori emphasis quality, open-ended toys, hopefully wooden. And all three methods believe that art and music should be a part of even young children's lives. I put their emphasis on spending time in Nature in this category too because what is more beautiful and quality than God's original creation?

This is so different from modern classrooms. I cringe when I think of the multiple kindergarten and early education classrooms I've spent time in (as a volunteer and a substitute teacher). Its posterboard overload, everywhere you look are posters and pictures, colorful bins and buckets, but nothing is quality and there isn't any place for your eyes (and brain) to rest. The very worst example of this I've seen is whole brain/power teaching. Here is a video if you must subject yourself to it.



If I was in a college lecture and the professor started doing this, I wouldn't even make it through the lecture before I got up and left to go drop the class. But those poor kindergartners don't have a choice. We subject them to an overload of sounds, colors, words, without giving his a chance to think then call poor little Johns parents in to tell him he has ADHD and needs medicine. Many of the comments on the video say that it is a great classroom management tool because it keeps the children engaged. Reading between the lines, I think they mean, it keeps the kids busy so they can't get in trouble, but are they truly engaged and learning or just busy being loud?

* Of course, this only works to a certain extent. If you throw out too much, you really aren't following the method anymore. Lots of mom's follow the CM method with the exception of using a textbook for math. That makes sense. I recently read a comment on a CM blog from a women who said she loves CM and they follow it except for dication/narration. Now she might have a great system for her family but if you don't do either of those things, I'm not sure you can call yourself a CM follower any more than I could say I follow Montessori but we do it with worksheets instead of sensory work. Just sayin'.

**I haven't been formally trained in any of these methods so this is just my take from reading about them.  I like to read from the main source when possible. I will admit that is often not the most interesting way to gather the information (for interesting and fun, find blogs) but they are comprehensive if you can deal with the dryness. Here are my "sources"

Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling Series 
Dr. Montessori's Own Handbook by Maria Montessori
Spontaneous Activity in Education by Maria Montessori
(Another great Montessori book is How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way)
Beyond the Rainbow Bridge (Waldorf)
Heaven on Earth (Waldorf)


3 comments :

  1. I also like Montessori stuff, but it does seem like it hits the limit of usefulness at about formal schooling age.

    Why would you not answer a child's questions??? I understand child-driven learning, especially for the very young, but asking questions is an incredibly important learning tool.

    And for the record, I made it 44 seconds into the power teaching video before I had to turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only borrowed the Waldorf materials so I can't quote you exactly and I hope I don't butcher their philosophy but it has to do with the stages of child development. The Waldorf theory is that for the first 7 years, the child lives in a "physical state" and shouldn't be prematured awakened from this state by too much information as well as other things (like getting too cold?) At first I thought they meant exposure to news or things above their head but no, even reading before 7 is considered a bad thing. Waldorf is definitely odd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to checking out a few Montessori books from the library today. While I'm really excited about reading and home school in the future, I've had a hard time figuring out how to play with Zuzu in this season.

    We had a great routine going with play time until Eliza got too big for the bassinet. Now that she sleeps in their room for her morning nap, Zu has lots of coloring/painting/play-doh time in the morning. I'm terrible at taking her outside because the weather is rarely just right.

    Your posts have really encouraged me to not give up on figuring out early childhood education. Which really means play, something that neither Jason nor I are very good at.

    ReplyDelete