12.19.2014

Beyond A Christmas Carol: 3 Christmas Reads Adults will Enjoy

I love Christmas picture books and we have a ton we own and even more we check out from the library every year but this year I've found a couple enjoyable Christmas reads for adults too.

 Yes, Grown-ups can read Christmas stories too and there is more out there than just A Christmas Carol. Not that A Christmas Carol isn't good, it's a classic for a reason and in fact, I'm reading it right now but there are more options. And they are all pretty short so you still have plenty of time to complete them before the season is over.


The Gifts of the Child Christ by George MacDonald (find it free here and here) - A short story. Somewhat sad but also sweet and very thought provoking.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie - This book contains several short stories, the first is the only Christmas one but I really enjoy it (as wel as the others, despite their un-festiveness).

The Story of the Other Wise Man (another freebie!) - I actually got this from my library for Lucy when it came up in a search only to discover it isn't really a kid's book. It isn't inappropriate for kids, I just don't think they'd enjoy it. I think my library has it in the jf section because its short? It's really more of a short story than a full book. And it a simple story but I still liked it.

Two Bonuses: Okay, I'm cheating. These aren't really written for adults but they are just as engaging for me when we read and I wouldn't hesitate to read them to myself if didn't have a kid handy.

A Tree for Peter by Kate Seredy - I did an ILL library request for this last year and Lucy listed to it but was really a bit too young but I loved it. Now I see our library has its own copy. Yay!

The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden - Technically a picture book (with wonderful illustrations by Barbara Cooney), its long so Lucy and I treated it like a chapter book. I really wanted to cheat and read ahead but I didn't. Aren't you proud of me? I've heard more than one adult say they cried while reading it.

No comments :

Post a Comment