12.26.2020

Classics Challenge: Mrs. Mike

I found Mrs. Mike in my books while I was sorting for the move. I'm know it came from my mom was she passed a bunch of books on to me but I can't remember if I had read it before. I think I had because I knew it was about young girl marries a mountie and has to learn to adapt to a much harder life than she's accustomed to.. But I decided to read it again. 

 (Side note: After reading this, I did finally give in an watch When Calls the Heart after ignoring Netflix's suggestions for months. Apparently winter in quarantine made me long for Canadian and Alaska themed stories?)

 That was back in March. Today in December - I remember its about a young girl who marries a mountie and has to learn to adapt to a much harder life than she's accustomed to. That's it, that's all I've got. I did like it because I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads and even more importantly, lent it to a friend because I thought she would like it. So apparently I think its worth reading but not worth remembering? Or maybe its been a rough mental year. Probably that. 

Okay, with further time I do remember thinking that I wish it had handled her interactions with the local people with the same skill as Catherine Marshall did in Christy. I can't think of any examples to back that up because - memories. I guess I didn't really think Mrs. Mike was awful or I wouldn't have recommended it to others but I know Marshall did such a wonderful job balancing the truthfulness of someone's feelings coming into a new experience with her desire to know and love and care for people and get to know them and the Freedman's lacked that skill. Christy is probably in my top 10 books list thought so that might be too high of expectations and  I don't discount books because of issues like this because the author's viewpoint is as much a part of the story when reading historical fiction written in the past...but I can still wish it was done better! 

Mrs. Mike is my Back to the Classics "Classic with a Person's Name in the Title" pick for the 2020 challenge. 


1 comment :

  1. I did enjoy Mrs mike!! How cool it was your moms. I sure hope I returned it to you.

    ReplyDelete