12.22.2020

Classics Challenge: Laddie

I did a lot of re-reads this year, a lot of Austen and cozy mysteries. If I did venture into new books they were typically 1) well vetted or 2) an author who was reliable. In other words, I wanted to know what I was getting. 

You definitely know what you're getting with a Gene Stratton-Porter book. They are sweet, old-fashioned (maybe a bit "dated" in some regards so keep that in mind) and sentimental novels focused on nature and relationships. They also have a bit of an mystical/romantic fairy tale land façade over top. I don't think I'm describing that well but its the best I can do.

 This one was very family centered. Laddie is narrated by a young girl but the main story focuses on her brother Laddie and his growing relationship with the neighbor's daughter "The Princess" (okay, side note, I find GSP's use of nicknames like this really annoying. She does it in other books too and it was just as annoying then. Maybe that adds to the other wordly feel I mentioned above but I still don't like it. Okay, end rant) I did think Laddie was funnier than many of her others, probably because it was family-centered so we get the kid hijinks along with seeing things from Little Sister's view. It wasn't my favorite GSP novel but definitely worth the read. 

Yes, GSP books are sometimes slow and a bit wordy with too many amazing coincidences and all the bows tied on all the happy endings. But underneath that, there are some great glimpses into life back then - the parenting, the values, the slow life. And sometimes, especially during a pandemic, its nice to read a well written book with a happy ending and some beautiful descriptions of nature and love along the way.

Laddie is my Back to the Classics "Classic by a woman author" selection.  


1 comment :

  1. I love your description of GSP! I’m almost finished with keeper of the bees and I practically inhaled Girl of the limberlost and freckles. Can’t wait to read Laddie!

    ReplyDelete