10.12.2021

The Great Scotland Road Trip Part 2

Day 5:

Relaxing around Oban. A boat tour with seal sightings plus some hairy cows enjoying the beach, some hiking and a great afternoon with the kids at a beach while Craig was off tasting some Scotch.






































This was our down day so I didn't have firm plans for the afternoon but the weather was amazing so we opted for the beach which was a great choice. The tide was low and there were no waves, the kids could easily explore and I didn't feel panicky trying to keep everyone alive so I could actually enjoy myself too. Jonah's part way through Pagoo for school so our finds were extra special. (It's Pagoo the hermit crab! And traveling towers! And sea anemone!). Now it's lots of laundry (for me) a movie night (for the kids) and early to bed (for us all!)


Day 6: We're staying at a farm here so the farmer showed us his hairy cows this morning. They really are adorable. Then we were off for some hiking (and blackberry picking) with the most amazing views, souvenir shopping and more beach fun. A good relaxing last day in the area. Tomorrow we're back on the road for more fun!
















Day 7: On to Glascow! Not too many pictures today but we got some selfies at Loch Lomond before heading on to Glascow. And yes, we did play th song as we drove along. And The Skye Boat song too. Folk songs FTW! Then Jude got his dream come true - to ride on a double decker bus (affectionately called "deckle bus" around here). We only got off at one stop, the Kelvingrove museum, but it has both natural science and art so it's basically a two for one museum. The kids loved the animals and ancient Egypt but started to poop out after the dutch painters. I was determined to see some impressionists so Jonah and I swung by the french section while the rest refueled with some snacks into a green before we finished up the bus tour to end our day.










Day 8: Change of plans!


We were actually supposed to finish up tomorrow but last night this guy just didn't seem himself and I got suspicious so we cancelled the plans for a pub night and got take away in our hotel room. Good thing too because in the middle of the night he spiked a fever. So we packed up and came home early. We had already finished all the trip stuff that was in Scotland, today and tomorrow we're both northern england days. We'll go back eventually because I'm not leaving this country until I've seen Hadrian's Wall! (We made it back up north. Post on that coming soon!) I'm about to start my third reading of Our Island Story and I've wanted to visit since our first read-through! So I'm not worries about missing out for now.

But today was not our day. Not only did we have the 5 hr car ride with a sick Jude wanting to hold my hand whenever he wasn't asleep, we stopped so Craig could grab us food and the car battery died. Apparently jumping someone's car isn't a thing here. (Are the cars different? Do people just not diy any car stuff? Not sure but people said no when we asked and just generally seemed confused by the question) but we waited for the recovery van to jump us. I have to brag on my kids though. This was our second 2 hr delay during this trip and both times they really did handle it like champs. Especially this one bc unlike our first time where they could get out and run around, this time we were stuck and Jude literally did not leave the van all day (thank goodness for tiny potties!). Traveling is exhausting at times and everyone has there moments but overall they are great travel buddies and deserve credit for that.

And even with our hiccups, we had such a good week. A dream trip with my favorite people making amazing memories. Scotland is awe-inspiring, I already want to go back to explore more of Edinburgh and the west side. Sometimes you have such high expectations for trips they can't live up to them but this one did!

Now I gotta unpack because (home)school starts Monday. Because, you know, I actually gotta start "educating" these kids, right ;-)

No comments :

Post a Comment