1.08.2008

The family farm

It was very cold in North Dakota. Very very cold. But I did manage to spend a couple minutes outside taking pictures of the L. family farm. I've only ever been to visit during the winter but I just love it. The whole area around where they live is so quiet and calm and snow covered. Despite my desire to be a country Texas gal, I really am a city girl and I'm not going to deny that I love a lot of the benefits that come with that. But when I am out there, looking at the cows and enjoying the sights of miles of snow that is still white days after it has fallen, I can almost feel what the pioneers must have experienced. It's as if time has stopped. The land is resting, waiting till the snow melts so it can come alive again. I really want to visit during the summer but even in the winter, it just seems so much more real than the world I live in. There is land there, real land, not just concrete, but earth. Good clean, albeit frozen solid, dirt. Craig thinks I'm crazy because I spent 10 minutes just taking pictures of the cows but I like to take pictures of it all so I can capture that calm feeling I so seldom feel in my crazy, stressful life. I hope you enjoy them too.
Here is the barn. I don't know what else to say about it. I would mention that Craig found a couple cat skulls while we were exploring the loft but that is gross and will not help you find that calm feeling so I will refrain. Or not.
This is farm dog #1, also known as Sadie. I like this picture because she looks as cold as I felt. She also looks sad although I don't know why. To my knowledge the farm dogs don't really do much. I guess they corral the cows but they don't really lead them where Craig's dad wants them to go so pretty much they are just there to eat table scraps and keep critters off the porch.

I can't show favoritism so here is farm dog #2, Duke. I don't particularly like this picture but it's the best I have since he is pretty young and still quite bouncy. I think he annoys Sadie, maybe that is why she is sad. She is remembering her life before she had to deal with an annoying dog "friend".

And here are some cows. They make me laugh.
One last picture of the barn, this time with hay. Oh yeah, I'm getting fancy now.
Oh, and I need your help. My work is having a photo contest. The theme is winter. Which of these pictures do you think I should submit? Let me know what you think. Unless you think I stink as a photography and shouldn't submit any, then just keep that to yourself, okay?

3 comments :

  1. Lovely photos! I especially love the last one and the first dog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the last one, with the barn and the hay. Although cows + hay is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the solitary, lonely, frozen looking barn in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete