8.27.2008

A new clue?

Apparently I am behind the times since I am just now hearing about this, but it distresses me. I love Clue. I have so many memories of playing it, from family game night as a child to teaching Craig and his siblings how to play on one of my first visits to his family's ranch in North Dakota. I don't get to play it a lot because most of the time I play a game it is just Craig and I and despite what my brother and I tried to do in elementary school, playing with two people just doesn't work. But even so, it's one of my favorite board games.

Why do they would want to change it? Why, I ask you !?! In another article I read, it stated that this new version will allow people to relate to the characters more. First off, I don't think I can relate to a billionaire video game designer (Jack Mustard) or a famous actress often featured in tabloids (Kasandra Scarlet) any more than I can relate to someone from the 1930s, probably less so.

Secondly, do you think the point of murder mystery board games is really to relate to the possible suspects? It isn't to me. I think of Clue as being in the same realm as murder mystery dinner theater games. When Craig and I hosted a murder mystery a few years ago, it was set in the 1890s. (Except for M, who due to an unfortunate mix up in communication, came dressed a 1990s prostitute, oopsie).
And she even said that when she was finding an outfit that she kept thinking it was strange. Because nobody hosts those in the present, you set them in the past! Thinking of murder as relevant isn't fun, it's creepy.

The old clue was classic, yet whimsical. At least I got the old version off of my wedding registry so whatever they do to the new version in stores, I can survive. Whimsical murder, that is what I want.

No comments :

Post a Comment