1.14.2010

A pretty good day

So yesterday was a pretty good day. It happened to be our third anniversary as well as our last doctor's visit here in town. The appointment was early enough that it didn't make sense for me to go to work but late enough that we got to sleep in an extra few minutes and eat breakfast in bed. In all honesty, Craig has brought me breakfast in bed almost every day for the past 4 months, but this time he got to stay and eat with me instead of having to go pack my lunch (Yes, I know he is amazing and I am being totally spoiled).

Then we headed off to the doctor's where everything was good. I got a little bit nervous when she took a few minutes to tell us the heart rate with the Doppler. I knew I had just felt Nigel kick a few minutes earlier so I was almost sure everything was fine but pauses never seem good. Eventually she explained that she kept finding the heartbeat but then the baby would do a flip and she would lose it and she was having to chase him/her around. After that I could breathe again. We had a quick lunch then I had to head off to my third to last day of work.

After work, Craig picked me up and we went out to dinner at a local burger place. It wasn't fancy but they are always ranked the best burger in the area and we have meant to go try them since the last time we lived here and never made it. Finally we did! I'm not sure it was the best burger I ever had, but it was good. And so was the chicken fried steak. Yum.

We then ran a few fun baby errands. Shopping around target and picking something out for Nigel together (and scoffing at the ridiculous baby and toy items available for purchase) and then picking up a book from Barnes and Noble that we need to have for our first Bradley class (next week!) and finished with ice cream. The whole night was pretty casual but it was so nice to get out of our box filled house, have fun and focus on us... and Nigel.

I keep reading things that say it is very important for you and your spouse to take some time during the pregnancy and first year of new parenthood and get away from baby stuff. Go out to eat and don't talk about the baby, they say. I'm sure they would have frowned on us spending our anniversary looking at baby things. Well, we try, but we want to talk about the baby all the time. We also talk about other things but at some point the conversation will come back to Nigel. Just like when we were engaged, we wanted to talk about the wedding. We can't help it and I think I've decided that I don't care what the experts say, at least for now. It was our anniversary and I think it was perfect.

4 comments :

  1. I always freak out when she is taking the heart rate... but John did the exact thing last time. They must be bored in there and want to show off when they are being examined... lol! Glad to here you guys had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    When I was reading the paragraph about how you want to talk about the baby all the time, I was thinking, "Oh, just like when you're engaged and you want to talk about the wedding all the time," and then you wrote that too.

    Which burger place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a fantastic anniversary; the experts can suck it.

    They are right about focusing on your marriage, but after the baby it's so much harder. Knowing what you're up against gives you guys a distinct advantage.

    Also, yay for bradley classes! Please keep us informed on those, I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete