9.15.2009

Kolache Festival!

Gilmore Girls was always my show. I really wanted to live in Stars Hollow, they always had such great local festivals going on. So when we heard some friends from our home group were going to a kolache festival at a nearby town, we had to join them even if it meant getting up before 8 on a Saturday morning to spend the day walking around in the rain.

The first stand that really interested me was a sauerkraut booth that talked about classically fermented sauerkraut. You might remember my attempt at that. It didn't go so well but I couldn't have been to far off as he used the same method as me (except he had the big fancy crock and cabbage shredder instead of a jar and a knife). He was very helpful, giving me some tips and his recipe ratio (it's only cabbage and salt). I might be ready to try it again because he also had samples and it was reallly tasty, even at nine in the morning. It was the last healthy thing I ate all day.

We explored some more craft booths but quickly realized what we really wanted were the pastries!
(The pictures in this post aren't the best, it is hard to take pictures, hold and umbrella and eat kolaches at the same time so something had to suffer and it certainly couldn't be the eating part!)

We tried the sausage and the strawberry and the poppy seed and the cream cheese (my favorite) and tested as many different bakeries as possible, trying to pick a favorite. We all pretty much decided we liked the same two bakeries the best (the others were too dry) but despite the yummy temptations of the award winning chocolate cream kolache, our stomachs were about to explode and we had. to. stop.

We ran into some other church folks, found a shelter from the rain where we could rest and chat, then walked around and admired the rest of the crafts and explored the fried food options (so we would be prepared for lunch, of course). Fallon and I broke off from the crowd to head over to the quilt show and when we made it back to the group, we were ready for some more food.
Of course, Neva and I had to get ours on a stick in good festival fashion! (Thanks Craig, for insisting this be an action shot :-) Don't I look so delicate?
Then we headed home, our feet and stomachs tired from the workout and ready for an afternoon nap.

No comments :

Post a Comment