9.09.2009

Worth the wait

Earlier this summer, a coupe of friends and I went to a local pottery shop for a girls night. The shop is run by a Christian couple. They played praise and worship music and talked to us about how God gave them the opportunity to open the shop up a couple years ago. It's a great place to relax and be crafty in. My only problem was choosing what to make. I finally went with a mug and a cross like most of the girls but I really want to go back and make a platter too (something colorful and fun that we use for all our "special days" like birthdays). Working with the clay was a lot like working with playdough. For the cross, I just used "cookie cutters" to make what I wanted and place it together. The mug was a bit trickier, I cut out and decorated it flat then wrapped it around a form and added a handle and bottom. Ours definitely had a homemade look to them but the owner's pieces are just gorgeous.

Fortunately, after that evening the fun wasn't over as we had to go back once it has cured to glaze it. Unfortunately, it was very hard trying to find a free time we could all meet up again. After 2 months of juggling schedules, we finally found a time and were able to glaze them and leave them to be fired. I picked them up a few days ago and just had to share! Aren't they cute for my first try?

The mug, which has dragonflies on it and says "I can do all things through Christ", is very girly and I think it will be perfect for sipping tea or cocoa out of while cuddled up on the couch with a book this winter (hey, it's still 95 our right now, a girl has to have dreams!). I tried to do something different and less girly with the cross. You can't really tell but the heart has a dark metallic finish and the green has little particles in it as well. I had so much fun and can't wait to go back.

No comments :

Post a Comment