10.07.2010

Comic Update

I wrote previously about the St. Louis paper's comic strip removal process.  The results are in, and the losing comics are:
  • Hagar the Horrible (bad choice), and
  • In the Bleachers (acceptable choice)
The nominees for new panel, none of which I've heard of (which is to be expected), are as follows, along with my observations (for examples, see here):
  • The Argyle Sweater (cheap animal puns).
  • Barney & Clyde (obnoxious adventures of an evil billionaire and a chipper homeless guy)
  • Oh, Brother (yet another tale of oft-adversarial young siblings; it is the best of the three, but that is faint praise).
The strip nominees are as follows, with my observations (examples here):
  • Big Nate (this looks familiar to me; yet another tale of a mischievous adolescent).
  • Dustin (gets my vote; story of a teen 23-year-old who is the anti-Zits (i.e. not lazy, whiny, or obsessed with texting).
  • Pickles (I've also seen this before; yet another tale of old people; less obnoxious than Lola).
Neither of my choices are currently winning their respective polls. What do you think of these nominees?


3 comments :

  1. aw I like pickles, but I'm an 80 year old at heart...so I guess that might be why. I haven't heard of the others

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your observations. I did kinda like Argyle Sweater but I think it will get old fast. I'm a little disappointed in the choices but I guess I'll be voting for Dustin and Oh, Brother

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one of those I'm familiar with is The Argyle Sweater, which I consider a poor man's Far Side. I figure, even being half as funny as The Far Side means it's tolerably amusing.

    Also, I think Lola is pretty OK, but maybe that's because I compare it to the execrable Momma.

    ReplyDelete