1.14.2011

A Pox on Our House

We've finally got our internet hooked up again (those last fews posts were on auto-post). I can't believe it is only been 5 days since I've last "talked" to you all - so much has happened. We moved in, survived our first blizzard in our new home and most excitingly of all - Lucy managed to contract her first major childhood illness. Yep, the little miss has chicken pox!

We weren't planning on having her get the vaccine (it isn't given until 12 months) so it is just as well that she gets them over with. But I have no idea where they came from since as far as I know we haven't been around anyone with them. Perhaps someone we were around at the airport?

Monday night I saw one or two spots I thought they were just a couple of bug bites or heat spots. The next morning there were quite a few more but since she didn't show any other sides, I was delusional and thought "surely, she doesn't have the chicken pox." By Wednesday, there was pretty much no denying it. I tried to take pictures for posterity sake but 1) only her yucky crusted over ones show up

110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 016c  and 2) 7 months is proving to be a very difficult month to photograph. She moves to much :-) Every time I  turned her around to get a picture of her back, she turned back before I got the camera in place, let alone focused. 

110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 018

But she's obviously very very uncomfortable, right?

110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 027c 110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 024 copy 110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 025 copy 110114 Lucy gets the chicken pox 026c copy Ha - she doesn't seem to even know she is supposed to be sick. She isn't scratching and doesn't really have a fever. She is a bit more mellow than normal and is taking longer naps but that's about it. I was able to run over to a friends yesterday (sequestering Lucy and I in a room away from her kiddos) to do a little chicken pox research. Apparently, since she is so young and I'm still breastfeeding, the lack of symptoms is not atypical.

Not that it hasn't interfered with our plans any. Today is our 4th anniversary so instead of going to the cute historical little town nearby to look at the tchotchke shops and have dinner like we had thought about, we stayed home and watched what turned out to be a very odd and depressing movie. But there was cheesecake. I have found in life that almost any evening can be redeemed with cheesecake.

3 comments :

  1. sorry about the chicken pox :( but happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet lil' Lucy! I'm so glad she got them now! They are much better handled in stride when they are young...

    Our oldest got them when he was 2.5 and it wasn't any big deal, either, though he did run a low-grade fever. We haven't "immunized" the others against that or anything else, and I'm STILL waiting for them to get the pox! Can I come to your house, please? It's a good time for us to get it done with.

    I just don't want the girls to have been unexposed by the time they are married and pregnant...they are already 7 and almost 6...bring Lucy over! I'll even make you a cheesecake for your trouble! :)

    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I know! I don't want her to be sick but part of me feels so "lucky" that she got them without any effort on my part. To bad you don't live closer. I put up on facebook that anyone who wants to come over for a playdate is welcome, so far no takers but they still have a few days.

    ReplyDelete