The making of a doll

If you've been around the blog for a while, you might remember "green baby," Lucy's waldorf baby doll. She was a favorite for a long time but for the last few months, she's been downgraded. She still gets played with occasionally, but she's no longer the little friend that gets dragged to church, the library, storytime, etc. It made me sad for a little while but time moves on.

We tried getting her bigger dolls, the bitty twins, for Christmas, but to be honest, they were a bit of a flop. I adored my american girls growing up but I think she was used to soft doll. She played with them and would try to sleep with one but it kept poking her so she stopped, first snuggling, then even playing with them. I put them up hoping that if I take them back down again in a few months, she might show a renewed interest.

I've been thinking she would like a bigger kid Waldorf doll but those things are expensive and after the above doll disaster (okay, disaster is probably too strong of a word, but I like the alliteration) I didn't want to splurge. But with Craig's latest night shift, I decided I needed a project. I bought a doll making kit and am attempting to make my own waldorf doll. It's a bit nerve wracking but a lot of fun.

10 months 077

10 months 076

Ignore that spot on the front. I stabbed myself under the nail with a needle and before I even registered the pain, blood had gotten all over the doll. At first, I freaked out thinking I had ruined her but then I remembered my midwife's trick of putting hydrogen peroxide on blood. It works like magic and within a few seconds, all but the biggest spot was completely gone. That last spot looks worse in the picture because it is still wet but its small and really faint now. The wonderful things you learn from midwives!

To be continued...

No comments :

Post a Comment