8.18.2014

A Mother's Daybook - The edition in which I seem to be obsessed with everything but Kombucha

Watching - Emma Approved. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before but I don't even care because I'm that obsessed with it. I have others webseries going too but this is by far my favorite. Partly because Emma is my all time favorite book and partly because Pemberly Digital modernizations are really amazing. They manage to really convey all the characters and emotions while still making the modernization aspect make sense - not an easy thing to do, especially considering the confines of the many short episodes with a web-cam format. Okay, and partly because Emma and Knightly are just adorable as are the actors that play them and are dating in real life. They are just too cute and I want them to get married and have very cute babies.

It's also so much fun to read the comments. There are two big groups of people. 1) The Jane Austen fans like me that are so excited when certain plot points finally arrive and we see how they are done in this version and high fiving each other when some the classic lines are kept, "there was the badly, done! They kept it." 2) The confused people that start off complaining that Emma is kinda selfish and they don't like her, then later add insightful comments like "does this seems really similar to Clueless and oh, guise, is this based on a book because why do some of you know what's going to happen and pls, no spoilers!" They are quite entertaining as well.

There are only 2 episodes to finish it up which is really sad. But that's okay because I've just started over! In fact, I'm rewatching listening right now. What? My kids are asleep, my husband is away for the night and I'm spending my Friday night watching a literary based web series while concurrently blogging about my obsession with it. Are you implying that is not completely? Don't answer!

Drinking - My first batch of Kombucha. Part of my new health protocol is supposed to be high doses of probiotics, in food and not just pill form. But my sensitivity to cabbage rules out all my favorite ways of eating fermented foods. Enter - Kombucha. That said, it's a bit weird. Even for me. And you know I do weird a lot. It could even be said that "weird" is one of my things. But scooping up a plate of symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast off my tea is pushing it and calling it a "scoby" doesn't really make that disappear. But I drank some of it. My first try was decent, maybe a bit too sour/vinegary for my taste. I keep trying though. Perseverence is also one of my things.

Listening - To lots of stuff but only with one ear. Craig and I had a date morning and went to a local shooting range. It was fun. But since then my right ear doesn't seem to be working quite right. And yes, I did wear ear protection! It's getting better than it was so I'm hopeful that this will be temporary. (Update - it's been 3 days now and its almost back to normal, not quite but not completely bothersome all day either)

Reading - Plutarch! I just finished my first life, Poplicola, and I'm shocked but I loved it and can't wait to start my next one. Now I'm actually a bit obsessed with Roman history right now which is odd because I'm not normally a history girl with the exception of a couple certain periods (see Austen fan girling above :-) So if you have any roman history books to recommend, hit me with them!

Thinking - About the news. I'm normally not one to read or watch a lot of the news. I stay up to date but honestly, I do so mostly through a Craig. I just let him tell me what's happening and since he is so news obsessed, it works out well. But when its happening in your backyard and effecting people I know and care about, I can't avoid it. I like checking facebook to see if friend's babies have been born, I don't like checking facebook to see if friends are safe. I've started probably three posts about this but can't seem to articulate any of my thoughts so don't worry, this isn't going to become a long post about Ferguson but right now it's just sad because so far, it seems like everyone is responding poorly. Like Oprah "everyone gets a car!" but with bad decisions. So I'm praying, for those I know and for those I don't.

No comments :

Post a Comment