11.09.2007

Musical Love

I love musicals. I grew up in a family of musical lovers. Even the guys. It is not uncommon to hear my dad or my older brother walking around the house singing a song from a musical. And my little brother watched a certain musical he liked to call seven brothers for seven sisters all the time when he was three and four. It was his favorite movie although now he's a freshman in high school and too cool to admit it. He tries to say that we forced him to watch it over and over again, but we all know the truth.

So it kinda took me by surprise when I realized, Craig doesn't really love musicals. We both love old movies and he will gladly watch anything without singing but once those lungs fill up and those feet start taping, he gets this weird look in his eye. His mouth may say, "I don't mind watching it with you" but his eyes scream "get me outta here!"

Back when we were still in what he calls the "wooing phase" he gladly went with me to the theatre to see "Oklahoma" and even "Fiddler on the Roof." So when "The Sound of Music" came to the old movie theater in town and I heard he had never seen it, I knew we had to go. As we were leaving, I asked "Oh, wasn't that wonderful" to which he replied, "Uhm...yeah?" Not convinced, I asked him what he really thought and his reply was something akin to "Well, it was a little long...and boring." What, The Sound of Music boring?!? How could one think such a thing.

I will admit that watching it on the big screen did have its drawbacks. Mostly because you couldn't fast forward though "the song." You know, that one song that every musicals seems compelled to have even though it is slow and stupid and nobody likes it. No matter how great the music is, there is always that one song. In The Sound of Music, that song is "Climb Every Mountain." In Oklahoma, it's that weird song/dance/dream sequences. Does anybody like that part? I think not.

But slowly, we are learning to compromise. I sleep on the couch next to him Sunday mornings while he watches political talk shows and in return, he sleeps on the couch while I watch musicals. It works well.

But last week, I checked Singing in the Rain out of the library meaning to watch it while Craig was away on a business trip. But I was so busy I never got around to it so I made us watch it a couple days ago. I love the song "Singing in the Rain" and the scene where he is actually singing (and dancing) in the rain- very good. The rest of the movie? Well, I'm just gonna have to agree with Craig and that one - it was kinda boring. But I never will get tired of hearing those nuns complain about Maria's silly antics or be able to sit through the beginning of Oklahoma without joining in to describe exactly what type of morning it is. Nope - not gonna happen.

7 comments :

  1. singing in the rain is NOT boring! It has its weird "why'd you put that in there" scene, (the chick in the green dress...yeah whats that all about?) but other wise i like it. its the only musical i own. i am deeply offended! (no not really...i think the sound of music gets boring once maria and von trapp decide they like eachother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I don't think I went to Fiddler on the Roof...must have been that other guy.

    And I do like (some) musicals. I liked Oklahoma, and Wicked, and Annie Get Your Gun (with Reba!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craig my friend, you have won my heart by saying you like Wicked! As you well know, I am pretty much addicted to musicals. The Sound of Music is my favorite movie musical, and I am a huge Julie Andrews fan, but I will admit that it is long, and at times even boring for many people. I still love it, but I understand people who don't love it quite as much. And you are so right about "Climb Every Mountain." I always skip that song. Also, Annie Get Your Gun = awesome! Have you ever watched Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat starring Donnie Osmond? If not, I think you should. It's entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, who doesn't like Wicked? Second of all, I'm pretty sure Craig liked Team America...it counts as a musical. And third of all, I love Reba in Annie Get Your Gun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - the singing in the rain parts that were good were really good, but there were just a few two many "what?" scenes for me. And true, the first part of the sound of music is better than the second.

    Craig - Oops, I have had so many men in my life, it can be confusing.

    Avh - I saw JATATD on TBS once and loved it. Plus, now that I am a utahn, I feel a special kinship with all things Osmond. My love goes out to all of them as they mourn their father.

    Eric - Craig will disagreep but I do not count Team America. But I do love Reba in just about anything she does. Did you see the PBS special South Pacific thing where they didn't act but just stood on stage at Carnegie Hall and read/sang the script? Her singing "I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair" was very very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wicked rocked my world. It's coming to SLC in 2009. You have to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicked is one of the few musicals without "that one song no one likes," for me at least.

    When we were young my mom would always fast forward through "Master of the House" in Les Mis. I still do, because I find it offensive to music as well.

    ReplyDelete