11.12.2007

Madness

One afternoon back in the spring, after a long day of subbing for 5th graders, I was releasing my stress onto Craig with a rant about "heelys" that went something like this.

M: Ahh, you know those stupid shoes with the wheels.

C: You mean Heelys?

M: How do you even know what they are called? Anyway, they are so awful for subs because what are you supposed to do with a bunch of kids skating all over the classroom. They were supposed to be moving around so I couldn't tell them to sit down and if they were wearing skates, I could have told them to take them off but I couldn't make them take off their shoes. I hate those things, what were their parents thinking!?! No kid of mine is ever going to have them. They won't ever be allowed in my house. No way!

C: Actually, you know those shoes of mine, the white ones. Those are Heelys.

M: Craig, but those don't have wheels in them.

C: Well, they can. They just don't right now.

Pause as I try to compute that my fully grown-up husband, who normally likes to talk about politics and weather stations and such, has a pair of shoes that most 6 year olds would be jealous of.

M: What, I can't believe you have those shoes. Do you also have shoes that light up when you walk.

C: They're cool.

M: This is madness.

Fast forward to today when I read this post about about a little girl who just had to have some heelys. I rest my case.

2 comments :

  1. Both of my kids have Heelys. They both know that they are not allowed to skate at school though. Recess is another matter. They are allowed to use them then.

    My son loves wearing them when we go grocery shopping. We have this little plan. He can heely around until some store person tells him he can't. At this point I tell him that I told him so. He tells the person that he will stop and then we see how long he can get away with it next time. I really never get mad. I bet store clerks hate me. HAHAHA.

    I would get mad about him skating at school though. Some rules are meant to be broken. Some are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heely's aren't allowed in our school.

    They aren't allowed in my house.

    My children got my coordination skills. Nuff said...

    ReplyDelete