11.04.2007

Don't Get Out and Vote

I don't know about all of you, but we have a fairly significant off-year election here where I live. In these weeks before Election Day, we often hear pleas for citizens to be sure to get out and vote. People will say things like, "It doesn't matter how you vote, it's just important that you get out and exercise your rights and participate in our democracy."

I say, "Hogwash." I think that, if you don't know what's going on, you shouldn't vote. The proper time to encourage people to get involved would be in September or so, when there is plenty of time to learn about the issues and the candidates and form a well-reasoned opinion about who to vote for. By now, it's too late. That's why I like the fact that most states make you register a few weeks in advance. This prevents a rush of last-minute, uninformed voters. Minnesota has same-day registration (and all you need is for another person to vouch for your eligibility), and I think this invites uninformed voting (as well as fraud).

Oh, and another thing. You shouldn't go vote if you are liberal.

2 comments :