11.27.2007

It's official - I'm a Lutheran!

This was supposed to be posted Sunday, which would make the whole thanksgiving part a tad more relevant, but I got busy so here it is on the Tuesday after the Sunday after thanksgiving.

These past few months, Craig and I have been spending our Sunday afternoons at our church, learning all about what it means to be a Christian, a Lutheran, and part of our specific congregation. Today we made it official by getting confirmed and becoming members.

Craig had been confirmed before (with the Methodists) so his was more of a reaffirmation of faith and joining of this congregation but I was baptized as a baby and had never gone through confirmation so it was really special to me to make my first public declaration of my faith. Well, actually, I would hope that every day my life is a public declaration of my faith, but there is something special about standing up in front of people and saying "this is what I believe, this is who I am, and this is who I am putting my trust in." In public situations, I'm not typically very outwardly emotional so I wasn't surprised when I didn't cry like some of the others in our class did, but I was more moved than I had anticipated.

I really liked that it was the Sunday of Thanksgiving too because while I was up there, I was really thankful. Thankful for a God that isn't happy just to save me, but who wants to have an intimate relationship with me. Thankful for the people in my church that God has placed there to lift me up, and those God has allowed me to encourage. Thankful for all the blessings He has given to me, especially my husband, my family, and my friends.

But I am most thankful for his first gift. My confirmation verses sum it up better than I could:

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:4-6

2 comments :