9.10.2007

Jam and Jane

I love being domestic and I especially like to talk about how I am domestic so I really surprised myself when I realized that Craig and I made jam last Wednesday/Thursday (it's a two day process) and I hadn't mentioned it yet. But I am making up for it now. Yum, homemade peach jam. It was really good, but not so good for you because I couldn't find the "less sugar" type of Sure Jell and the original kind calls for a lot of sugar. I think the sugar to peach ratio was over 1. And peaches are naturally pretty sweet, especially the fresh, local grown ones that we used. But it was a lot of fun. Neither one of us had ever made jam before but I think we did pretty well. It makes me want to can things. But I don't have a canning system, the knowledge of how to can, or anything to can, so I probably won't be doing much canning this fall. Next summer though, canning is making my list. I don't really think I have had much non-grocery store canned food but Craig grew up eating homemade canned things and it seems like it would taste good. I have had his mom and grandma's pickles and they are gooood. It's almost sad for me to eat them because I love pickles but after trying theirs, Vlassic just don't taste as good. I think pickling things is still a couple years down the line, I need to start small. And I have images of exploding cans in my kitchen to keep my aspirations under control.

But I felt very good this morning eating my toast with peach jam. Mostly because I forgot to buy milk yesterday but I was redeemed by the jam. Having to eat toast with jam instead of my usual cereal would have been really depressing without the fancy jam. But I got distracted last night. My friend K. and I went to see Becoming Jane. I was going to drag Craig along but we went to a church bbq beforehand and when we found out that we both wanted to see it, we ditched our husbands in two seconds. I am pretty sure Craig screamed "Woo-Hoo" or something similar when he found out he was off the hook so I didn't feel too bad. It was...okay. They didn't develop the characters very well, and in a period piece, the characters are very important! And the costumes weren't great either, and they are another important piece of the period piece puzzle. Plus, it was kinda sad. I mean, everyone knows she ends up all alone, like almost all of the amazing old-school authors did, but it is still sad to watch. But if she had ended up with the guy, I would have hated it more. Not because it wouldn't have been true to her story, because the movie isn't really that accurate anyway, but because I though the guy she liked was kind of - bleh. To be more descriptive, I might call him feckless*. And the rich guy who wanted to marry her, and could afford to, seemed really nice. She called him a boobie but I didn't see it. But after the movie, we were so busy talking about the story and Jane Austen that the milk completely slipped my mind. But that really is to be expected.




feck·less
1.ineffective; incompetent; futile: feckless attempts to repair the plumbing.
2.having no sense of responsibility; indifferent; lazy.

1 comment :

  1. canning is sooo easy...you could do it. it just takes a day..and it's more fun if you have sisters and a mom or two to assist. canned peaches are da bomb! along with canned beets, beans, homemade spaghetti sauce and salsa. YUM.

    ReplyDelete