9.18.2007

When all else fails...make cheesecake.

I never would have imagined that my trip to the dentist was thrilling enough to be the topic of two different posts, and honestly, it probably isn't but this is what you are getting. In addition to the other discovery I made yesterday, I also learned I had two cavities. TWO...and "a watch". And "a watch" is just a nicer way of saying a "little tiny cavity that will probably have to be filled next time you come visit" so I really have three cavities!

I have always had problems with cavities and when I was little, it was pretty understandable. But my oral hygiene habits have improved drastically since I was seven, so why am I still getting the same number of cavities!

I was frustrated but decided to work on lowering my sugar intake since that is the only thing I can think of. I brush at least 2x a day, and I floss, and I don't drink cokes or southern sweet tea. Water, sometimes Crystal light Lemonade or Milk. I don't eat a lot of candy and I don't even chew gum anymore because of my previous experiences with TMJ problems. I will admit that I like my desserts though, cookies, ice cream, brownies, I love them all... but I would still say I eat less sugar than most Americans. It's genetics and there isn't anything I can do about it.

So while I first left the dentist feeling empowered and ready to fight for my teeth, I quickly changed my mind, my willpower quickly faded. Why should I give up the treats that I love so much when I am still going to get cavities. At this point, my teeth worries combined with my nose worries had worn my out, so I made cheesecake to make me feel better...but at least the cherry pie filling on top was made with splenda. :-)

3 comments :

  1. Yeah, and cheesecake is one of those few things you'll be able to eat without your dentures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you get the tmj fixed? i have it too...bad...

    my dentist made me a teeny tiny bite plate that i wear between just my front teeth. the problem is that's it's clear and i lost it...so i have to get another one made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did get better. I was on a liquid diet for a little over two weeks which almost killed me (not literally, but I sure felt like I was dying) and used a aqualizer (water bite thing). It was one of my most miserable months. But mine was probably caused by stress so it could come back - Ahh! Hope your gets better soon though.

    ReplyDelete