12.14.2007

Fred Still In It

Fred Thompson hasn't been getting a whole lot of media attention recently. He's been lost in Mike Huckabee's rise and religious spat with Mitt Romney. But Fred scored big at the Iowa debate yesterday. Here's a roundup of reactions. People liked that he refused to play the "raise your hand" game, that he spoke hard truths about Social Security, and that he took a swipe at the National Education Association.

I think Fred is in a good position now. He's currently 3rd in Iowa and 2nd in South Carolina (he's way down in New Hampshire, but that state doesn't appear to be part of his strategy). I expect the Huckaboom to dissipate as his record becomes widely disseminated, and this will put Fred in position to get at least 2nd in Iowa, thus increasing his standing in the race, and giving him a good shot at winning South Carolina. This in turn will put him in a fine position come Super Tuesday.

2 comments :

  1. Not sure why he has not caught on---I really thought he would. My fear is that the MSM will covertly push for a weaker Republican to get the nomination, like Huckabee, and then join in on the attack of that nominee once it gets down to Republican vs Democrat. They fear Thompson much more than Huckabee, because they believe he would beat Clinton or Obama. Having said that, I will vote for any of them over Clinton or Obama. But of course, my being a kindred sptit with Craig on politics is one of the reasons I thought Craig was a good match for Mackenzie in the first place! When he wanted to marry my daughter, I never asked if he was a hatchet murderer or anything like that, just if he was a solid conservative....:<)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe he is more of a kindred spirit than a kindred sptit...

    ReplyDelete