4.12.2008

I need your help!

I can kinda think again. For the record, it is really hard to think with a ringing inside your head. The more I tried to concentrate, the worse it got. Thursday night I couldn't do anything more than watching tv to block out the noise. Friday wasn't as bad. But it was a neat psychological test to see what things really required concentration and what didn't. I could read blogs, but not books. I could watch tv but working in photoshop wasn't much fun. It makes me want to be more diligent about choosing activities and hobbies that do require me to think.

So today I went to the library and stocked up on books. I got a lot of non-fiction books but I find myself struggling to pick out any fiction. I hate spending time on bad books, especially when I don't now that it as bad as it is until it ends - that is the worst! I often end up reading a book I have already read just to be sure that I will like it. So I need your help...any good fiction books I just have to read? I like books of all sorts and all reading levels. I like well written books and don't mind a challenge but there are times (mostly, that last half an hour when I am reading in bed) that I appreciate an easy read too. So help me out please!

6 comments :

  1. My wife and I are reading the Navajo Mystery series of books by Tony Hillerman.

    In this series he writes the Navajo Tribal Police angle with one or two main characters from the Tribal Police working to solve the mystery of the moment.

    I think there are about 13 books (or so) in this particular series.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the very same problem. The last fiction book I read (recommended by a friend) was The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's really good.

    My favorite fiction writer is Terry Pratchett, but he writes fantasy stuff, which I don't know if you'd be into. He's extremely hilarious, though.

    My previous roommate got me reading these books about Sherlock Holmes, except from the perspective of a sassy girl sidekick (it is, believe me, better than it sounds), which starts out with The Beekeeper's Apprentice. They're by Laurie R. King.

    Finally, my mom has transmitted to me a deep and abiding love of books by Patricia Veryan. They're historical romance novels, but they're clean and they're actually historically accurate--rare qualities indeed. The catch there is that they're pretty hard to come by. But if you can find any, it will be TOTALLY WORTH IT, I promise. (So good!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wedding Officer by Anthony Capella is a sumptuous read with some good historical WWII facts thrown in; Pillars of the Earth and the follow on World Without End by Ken Follett good reads as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the Red Tent by Anita Diamont. I also like Girl with the Pearl Earring, Memoirs of a Geisha, and the Nanny Diaries is super fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved The Life Of Pi by Yann Martel. It was intriguing. I've also been told to read The Red Tent (mentioned by becoming me).

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED The Time Traveler's Wife.
    Just starting the Twilight series and while I am not sure how it is going to go, everyone else LOVED them.

    If you like mysteries? Anne Perry is my favorite author of ALL FREAKING TIME. (Victorian mysteries. The woman is brilliant). Elizabeth George is wunderbar, too.

    ReplyDelete