2.03.2009

Another "24" related post

As Rachel's comment hinted at, my birthday was last Sunday. I really like having my birthday on a Saturday or Sunday, it makes it seem like it the entire weekend is a celebration!

Craig knows that my love languages are craft projects and ice cream (What?!? Aren't those two of the five?), so that is what the weekend was full off. Friday night we did a little craft together, which I'll talk about when I am not feeling too lazy to go get the camera and take pictures. Then Saturday we got up and did our normal errands followed by a trip to Home Depot. I had some birthday money from my in-laws burning a hole in my pocket (if you're reading this, thanks!) and fortunately for me, I had a idea that of something I wanted to do for a while but couldn't justify "wasting" money on it - new matching hardware for our bedroom furniture! We have two nightstands and a dresser but they were all just garage sale items with ugly knobs and drawer pulls. Now they are garage sale items with cute matching knobs and drawer pulls! It may not seem like much, but I think they look a lot better. And since it was extra money, Craig didn't have a heart attack when he finished adding up the cost. $3/knob sounds cheap until you remember how many knobs you need. I had planned on putting up picture, but again, it's the laziness that is bring this post down. And I still have plans to paint them all a nice cream color sometime this spring so I will put up the "after" shots then.

After that, we headed over to Marble Slab and Cold Stone Creamery to redeem my birthday ice cream coupons. Don't worry, although I wouldn't have minded using them both on myself, I did give Craig one of them. By the way, if any of you have one of those stores in your neck of the woods and have a birthday in the next 12 months, you should sign up for their birthday clubs. Then you can forget about it until a week before your birthday when you suddenly receive an email for a free treat. And there is no "if you buy _" clause unlike some places that send out a a coupon for a free mini-dessert, if you buy an appetizer along with two dinners with drinks. Oh, thanks but no thanks. Some say beggars can't be choosers, but I am obviously not one of them. At least I am not naming company names here - 'cuz I'm thoughtful like that.

The Saturday afternoon was spent like all good Saturdays should be, full of laying around, napping and movie watching. We had a turkey cooking that we had gotten on sale at Thanksgiving. I had finally gotten tired of not having any space in my freezer and decided to cook it. But after our dinner and another meal of sandwiches, I still got over 10 cups of meat to freeze (in 2 cup portions because every chicken casserole known to man calls for 2 cups of chicken meat, but I figure poultry is poultry). I've also got a carcass and neck in the fridge to make a real Nourishing Traditions-style batch of broth from so I think the remains of the turkey are going to take up more room in the freezer than the turkey did, how is that possible?

Sunday was pretty full so Craig treated me to breakfast out before church (here is where I would also say that there was a coupon involved that could only be used at breakfast but this post already makes us sound super cheap and truth be told, what kind of wife would I be if asked him to give up the Super Bowl to take me to dinner?).

Then we headed to a Super Bowl hangout with a bunch of people we didn't know and one couple we did. It was a little awkward at first since the people we knew didn't show up until quite a while after we did, but luckily they were all nice. Plus, there was a super chubby baby to play with, and babies are great ice breakers. We brought along a Chinese exchange student that shares an office with Craig. He got to experience his first time in an American family's home, his first Super Bowl and his first time to eat spaghetti. It really is fun to share your culture with others, he thought it was pretty amazing how someone would just open up their home to people they didn't know and how we could all have such a fun time together. I guess he is right, the Super Bowl is really a bonding event. Even if you don't like football, you at least like the commercials and can watch the game. And thus ended the fabulous weekend in which I turned 24.

No comments :