2.05.2009

Little Person in a Big State

Earlier this week, I opened up the university paper, he Battalion, and what did I find but a big article about "social justice week." After controlling my initial gag reflex (I'm sorry, it is just so p.c.) I noticed that the first speaker of the week was Amy Roloff, of TLC's Little People Big World. I was so excited, I love most TLC shows but this one especially, they just seem like such nice normal people.

Of course, the Batt being what it is, there was absolutely no information on when or where this talk was going to be held but Craig did a bit of Googling and discovered the apparently secret information.

We got there a few minutes before the doors were going to be open, got in line and waited. When we got in there, I looked down our row and saw that in the row of 75+ seats (Rudder Auditorium for those that know the area) there was a person about every 8-10 seats. I knew exactly what they were doing - saving seats! Now this is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's bad enough to save even one seat for a function that has limited seating and a line to get in, but one person really shouldn't save 8 seats. There is absolutely no social justice in that!

I actually got a little confrontational with some of the girls next to us doing the ridiculous saving. I wasn't awful but I was more forceful than Craig is used to and I could tell it surprised him. Eventually I backed down and just gave them one last dirty look before letting them have their seats. Of course, I then had to sit next to them which was slightly awkward, but hopefully more so for them than for me. That isn't very loving of me, but really, it's just so selfish of people I can hardly stand it.

The actual speech was good. She isn't the most dynamic speaker I have ever heard, but she comes across so genuine and real, it doesn't even matter. She told a lot of funny stories and overall, did a really good job balancing the idea that those with disabilities have physical and social obstacles in life while emphasizing self-reliance and the need to avoid being so overly concerned with political correctness that you prevent real dialogue. She had no "feel sorry for me" attitude and even talked about how in some instances when she was the one holding herself back but she also talked about challenges she and other little people face, from physical limitations, many due to living in a world meant for bigger people (ATMs, parking meters, washing machines, etc) and attitudes of those she encounters. The show does a good job helping me see life in other people's (little) shoes, and her talk expanded on that.

No comments :

Post a Comment