1.26.2015

Top 3 Mini-series

I realized while making my top three movie list that I really like mini-series more than movies. There is just more time to really develop the characters the way I like them to be developed. Probably why I like k-dramas so much.

1) Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea - I was going to put this as a favorite movie but IMDB calls it a mini-series and I guess it is. I received the first 2-pack vhs set for Christmas when I was ten or so. And then the next day when the PX opened, my mom and I went and got the second. We had to see how it ended! It was one of the first things we watched when I came with baby Lucy to her house right after her diagnosis. I remember sitting on her bed with my mom, Lucy asleep right next to us, my sister-in-law on the other side as well all got choked up because we knew the "Mathew scene" was coming. That is a really great memory for me. At the time, I remember thinking how perfect it would be if it wasn't for the fact that we were all there because my mom was dying and how that ruined the moment. But looking back, it didn't ruin it. It was a glimpse of something that could have been and something I mourn (the generations of woman together) but it was also closure. A reminder of the incredible closeness I had with my mom. The shared memories and experiences of my childhood. That's probably one of the reasons I like k-dramas so much. Because it started as something she and I did together, at the time we didn't know a single other american speaking person who watched them but we didn't care. She's not here but I keep watching. I'm getting off track but to get back to Anne, this series is so well done. I recently re-read the whole series and I enjoyed them but this is really one of the few times that I can say I think the movies are as good, if not better, than the book. And certainly they more sentimental value for me. I now I realize I really need to get them on dvd.

2) North and South - So so good. I've talked about it a lot on this blog but that's not really the reason I won't go on and on about it here. It's just that if I do, I'll want to watch it again and then I'll want to re-read the book. It's a vicious cycle. At least I have youtube for now.

3) Pride and Prejudice - The gold standard when it comes to period mini-series. It's practically perfect. I don't really know what more I can say. If you disagree with me, you are wrong.

No comments :

Post a Comment