1.23.2015

The three things I would tell the my 20-year old self

1) You won't regret those hard choices.

 Ten years ago I was trying to decide what to do with my life. Do I pursue vet school and that dream that I'd had for years? What about grad school? Won't I regret not going for it when its so close and I know I'd be good at it? Or am I going to be willing to admit that all those goals are really my second choice, my back-ups if I don't get what I really want - to be a SAHM mom. I knew what I really wanted but was so worried that I'd regret it. I don't. Not ever, really. And I've had several chances since then to change my mind, offers for grad school, for other jobs that would put me on more of a career path. And I turned them down without hesitation. Now I know. I got exactly what I wanted and I found it is the perfect job for me. Every true interest and passion of mine is still a part of my life. Plus I get to spend all day serving my three favorite people in the world. So no regrets. I just wish I hadn't wasted so much time worrying about it.

2) You'll survive.

Oh man. These next 10 years are going to be way MORE than you expect. The good's gonna be really great but the bad's gonna be really bad too. You aren't even going to see it coming most of the time. You'll worry your faith can't take it. It can. Just take one step at a time. God won't let you go. You'll wonder how you can still be alive with your heart being in tiny pieces. But you will be. And then, when you least expect it, you'll have one of those moments when you know everything is going to be okay. Not here, not on this earth. But someday. And you'll know that He'll be with you until you get there. And there is some really great stuff waiting for you along the road so enjoy it. You can do this.

3) Read your Bible. Memorize more of your bible.

 I did both fairly regularly and I'm glad I did. But those periods of time when I slacked off on that, I struggled. But when you are in God's word daily and really putting it into your heart and soul by memory, you can't help but be filled with his grace. If you ever find yourself trying to convince yourself that you are too busy or you can't manage it - RE-PRIORITIZE. Find another way to get God's word into your mind and soul. Listen to it. Memorize one small verse and keep saying it over and over again. Aim high and challenge yourself. Just do it!

No comments :

Post a Comment